Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-28-2006, 03:54 PM   #1  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Question How do you freeze soup?

How do you freeze soup? I know this is a stupid question, but i'm paranoid about food poisoning. I'm making minestrone and i bought little tupperware bowls to freeze it in. Can I just pour the soup in and put the lid on and throw it in the freezer? Can I do it while it's hot? How long does it keep in the freezer? Is it okay if I leave a little room in the bowls before I put the lid on?
God, I'm ignorant!!!
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodj0080
Can I just pour the soup in and put the lid on and throw it in the freezer? Can I do it while it's hot? How long does it keep in the freezer? Is it okay if I leave a little room in the bowls before I put the lid on?
God, I'm ignorant!!!

Ok, here is what I do.......pour it into my container, tupperware, ziplock, or glad, it doesnt really matter. Leave a bit of room so that when it freezes it wont pop the lid off. I usually pour it into the container, put the lid on and put it in the fridge until its cold, then just pop it in the freezer.

How long will it last? I havent a clue, mine dont usually stay there longer than 2 months. So you know, you're good for at least that long.

You're good to go
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #3  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Wheee! Thanks Robin! I swear I'm not an idiot, I've just never needed to freeze soup before. I've had food poisoning twice from resturuants (once from soup) and i'm paranoid now
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #4  

To cool soup quickly put it in a shallow metal pan and put it it the freezer and then go back and stir it until completely cool, then you can transfer it to any container to freeze or put it in a ziplock bag and leave room for expansion and then lay that flat on the shelf- the main idea is to maximize the surface area of the food so that it cools fast. To prevent bacterial growth make sure you always reheat and hold soup above 140 F and not let it sit for any length of time between the temperatures of 40 and 140 F.
jstalaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #5  

One key lesson I've learned is to label it clearly and include the date.

I've frozen many soups successfully--mushroom-barley, lentil, tomato-vegetable.

Definitely important to heat it the boiling point.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote