Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #1  
Get Phlip ready to flip!

S/C/G: 165/155/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Soup Ideas

I was wondering if anyone had an good soup ideas: I'm a pesca vegetarian , so non-meat would be appreciated. I find that I feel fuller on soup than almost anything else, so I would like to start having it for dinner, but currently only have about 3 options that I know. Low-fat, low-cal, something with a protein source, that can fit in a student budget (alot to ask, I know)? Any advice would be much appreciated!
swingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #2  

Default bean soup

1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can other beans (ranch is called for in the recipe but you can't get then in CT)
1 can corn or 1 package frozen corn
1 can diced tomatoes with jalepinos
1 large onion diced
enough water to give you a broth (I rince out the bean cans and add to the pot)

Brown onion in the bottom of the pan (I don't use any oil just a bit of water) Dump in all the cans and simmer simmer simmer. 1 cup = 2 points on WW. If you add 1 1/2 pounds ground meat (95 % fat free) increase to 3 points. Can top with cheese, baked corn chips, sour cream. If you like it spicy add jalapinos or hot sauce. Add chopped zuchinni, carrots etc. What ever left overs I have.
darthmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #3  
Lost in NY

This is an Emeril Lagasse recipe - one of the few healthy-ish ones I would say!! Not anything in the way of protein, I'm afraid, but good nevertheless. For the wine, you could get the cheapest white wine you can find, since you're just cooking with it.

2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup white wine
1 quart chicken (or vegetable) stock
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped chives, as garnish

Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 4 minutes. Add apple and carrots and saute for 2 minutes. Carefully add the white wine, stock, and cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the apples and carrots are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and puree with an immersion blender or, in batches, in a blender. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Garnish with chives and serve.
NYRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote