Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #16  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heva2015
I also read somewhere that diet coke (all coke/pepsi) is not suitable for vegetarians...might not be an issue for you but does anyone else know if that is true?
I'm not sure why that would be true, since all of the ingredients are derived from plant sources (except for water of course!).
Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #17  
Opulent

Quote:
I also read somewhere that diet coke (all coke/pepsi) is not suitable for vegetarians...might not be an issue for you but does anyone else know if that is true?
Maybe what you have heard was in reference to vegans...Vegans avoid animal-tested ingredients as much as possible, especially in items not needed to maintain health and diet sodas are made up of chemicals (artificial sweeteners etc.) that have been extensively tested on animals. Also, in sugared sodas, many times the refined sugars are filtered through animal bone char and that makes them not a vegan product.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #18  
Heather/Caterpillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogini
Maybe what you have heard was in reference to vegans...Vegans avoid animal-tested ingredients as much as possible, especially in items not needed to maintain health and diet sodas are made up of chemicals (artificial sweeteners etc.) that have been extensively tested on animals. Also, in sugared sodas, many times the refined sugars are filtered through animal bone char and that makes them not a vegan product.
Wouldn't the presence of animal bone make them non vegetarian also?
Old 01-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #19  
Heather/Caterpillar

Also, the bottled/canned stuff and the fountain stuff apparently has very different ingredients as it works differently. It tastes the same but is different. It might have changed recently but didn't it used to say something on coke bottles like 'natural flavours from animal and plant sources'?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #20  
Movin on down the scale

Your husband sounds like mine, he wants me to give up all diet soda (like the 1-3 per week is going to kill me) I did give up coffee (well I only have 1-3 per MONTH) but he keeps telling me that it is "rat poison" in diet pepsi/coke...I just laugh and tell him that as long as I only have a few the poison wont kill me so he can stop worrying, besides he smokes 1 pack of cigs per 2 weeks so I dont get on him about that killing him..lol
Old 01-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #21  
Opulent

Cool

Quote:
Wouldn't the presence of animal bone make them non vegetarian also?
Well, I certainly think so but then again some people call themselves vegetarian and eat fish and other animals and some call themselves vegan and eat dairy and other animal products
Old 01-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #22  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Also, the bottled/canned stuff and the fountain stuff apparently has very different ingredients as it works differently. It tastes the same but is different. It might have changed recently but didn't it used to say something on coke bottles like 'natural flavours from animal and plant sources'?
I see you live in England, so can't vouch for what is on the labels there (product formulations - not just soda pop but foods, bevs, etc in general - can be a bit different for whatever reasons from country to country...).

Fountain formulas are a bit different, as far as diet pop is concerned the fountain diet Coke syrup still has saccharin which is not in the canned/bottled formula (again, at least here in the US).

I don't know the formula for diet Coke (the "natural flavoring" on the side of the can) but I would bet it's not TOO far removed from the original Coke ingredients which John Pemberton concocted in Atlanta back in 1885...(the original recipe can be found in the book For God, Country and Coca-Cola - great book BTW!)

Quote:
1 oz. Citrate Caffein
3 oz. Citric Acid
1 oz. Ext. Vanilla
1 Qt. Lime Juice
2 1/2 oz. Flavoring*
30 lbs. Sugar
4 oz. F.Ext. Coco
Caramel sufficient
2 1/2 gal. Water

*Flavoring:
Oil Orange
Oil Cinnamon
Oil Lemon
Oil Coriander
Oil Nutmeg
Oil Neroli
1 Qt. Alcohol

Mix Caffeine Acid and Lime Juice 1 Qt. Boiling water add vanilla and flavoring when cool.
Let stand for 24 hours.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #23  
Fat girl on a mission

Hey all- I agree that in moderation DC is just fine. However, large amounts of aspartame can be neurotoxic for some people. Personally I will have seizures if I drink many DCs (or anything else with aspartame) over time. (By "many" I'm talking 6+ a day.)

I still drink DC, but only when I can't find a Diet RC or a Diet Rite. My brain is a bit happier with Splenda!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #24  
ugggg.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamily828
At least you all were drinking Diet Cokes. I was used to the regular ones. In a typical day, I would have 5-6 of them. As long as one was in my hands, I wasnt hungry. Now that Im dieting, Im drinking water with Crystal Light in it. The weight should start coming off since Ive eliminated all those extra calories.
Kamily--I was doing the regular COke thing too--way too many calories--I traded it for straight plain old waterSince December 29. Less than I week later the headaches went away and now I crave plain old water. I do drink an ice tea now and then when we are out for lunch. They don't seem to make me crave the Coke like diet does.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #25  
This time for good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anske
Hello,

I am glad to see that I am not the only one whos husbands tells you to quit drinking Diet Coke. He says the same to me that is why I am not loosing weight.
I tell mine that I will quit my heavy DC habit when he quits chewing! I don't have a thing to worry about!

I lost (at one time) 160# drinking 2L of DC/daily. I'm not worried about it. We know sugar will kill us.... we just have to pick our poisons. Mine is Diet Coke.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:48 AM   #26  
Sweet Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkielover
My hubbie wants me to quit drinking Diet Coke. I will admit that I am addicted to it, but I always tell myself that at least it's DIET! He's convinced it's keeping me from losing weight, and I've heard that it makes you want more sweet stuff. Is any of this true?
The only bad thing I experience is when I was winging myself off of diet drinks I had a pretty bad headache that lasted a week. I was warn considering how much soda's I was drinking that once I try to quit to get off of them to be expecting some bad headaches. Indeed I did. I stay off of them for 2 years, till hear lately in the last couple months. NOW, I am winging myself off of them again, and I'm having that wonderful headache right now!

In my personal opinion ( to what I experience) When I drink allot of diet soda's it seems like my losing weight stall, it seems if I drink allot more water my weight would slide off of me.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 252/252/150

Height: 5'6

Default Diet Coke

Well.. I'm not a big soda drinker.. but if I do, diet coke is my choice. I have been going to a weight loss doctor (MD) for about 6 weeks now and she has asked me not to drink ANYTHING with carbonation. I guess it does something to your stomach and don't loss weight as quickly. She also told me that if I need something, if you feel gassy.. just drink a little (she said no more that 4 oz) of club soda NO SODIUM!!! Also.. NO CAFFEINE!!! It does something to your metabolism and slows down your weight loss. I'm just sharing what I was told... hope it helps.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #28  
This time for good!

Unhappy Yeah...yeah...

I hate logic! I like my DC, but I have noticed that I lose better when I stay away from it. Guess I'll try that this week.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #29  

Diet coke and all carbonation is definitely bad for you..A Lot worse than people think. That is the one thing i am always told by my trainer to stay away from.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:57 AM   #30  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

The one thing I cannot stay away from is regular Pepsi. I have managed to limit my intake to one a day (20 oz/500ml) and drink mostly water or hot tea the rest of the time. I'd like to eliminate it completely for weight and health reasons but I feel like an addict de-toxing when I try it. It's too much! I'm so good about everything else that I figure one Pepsi a day is a treat and keeps me from feeling deprived. Plus, I'm still losing steadily. Maybe if I plateau, I'll try giving it up again.
Closed Thread