3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Holiday Menu Ideas (Low Calorie) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/67911-holiday-menu-ideas-low-calorie.html)

Sheri~C 11-02-2005 01:24 PM

Holiday Menu Ideas (Low Calorie)

Our Buddies with a Christmas Goal wanted to share our favorite low fat, low sugar and low calorie recipes for the holiday with everyone so here they begin, anyone can join in, just post your favorites here and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Sheri~C 11-02-2005 01:25 PM

My Thanksgiving Menu

Fresh 14 pound Turkey, stuffed with 2 quartered onions, 1 carrot cut into 3 pieces and 2 celery stalks cut into pieces sprig of thyme and ˝ lemon.

Stuffing Ring, 2 loaves bread cubed, 2 eggs, 3 cups chopped onion, 1 cup chopped celery, 2 large grated carrots, ˝ tsp savory, ˝ tsp sage, ˝ tsp thyme, 1 tsp salt, ˝ tsp pepper, 1-1 ˝ cups homemade turkey stock. Sauté the veggies in 1 tbls oil until soft add the seasonings and toss with the bread cubes. Wisk eggs with 1 cup of the stock and mix into the bread mixture, add more stock if needed. Spray a Bundt pan with non stick spray and put the bread mixture into it. Cook this until internal temp reaches 160 degrees then cool and refrigerate until the next day. Remove from fridge 1 hour before you are going to put it in the oven.

Cranberry Jelly Sauce.

2 packages cranberries, 2 cups water, ˝ cup sugar, ˝ cup splenda.

Bring water to a boil, add berries, add sugar and splenda, cook as per package directions. When done, strain through a metal strainer and you will have plenty of wonderful cranberry jelly that everyone will love.

Mixed Vegetables

Enough broccoli and cauliflower to serve your guests steamed, let everyone add their own butter or becel spray.

Mashed Potatoes,

Save 1 cup of water before draining and use this to mash the potatos, it gives them more body than chicken stock I think, and you don’t need butter or cream, just a little salt and pepper.

Sweet Potatos/Yams

Cook in oven in their skins until nice and soft, about 1 hour at 350. after they cool enough to handle, cut them open and scoop the insides into a bowl, mix with a teaspoon of cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 Tablespoons of butter. Mash them until mixed well. I throw them into a zip lock bag to save space in the fridge and pop them into a casserole dish an hour before putting them into the oven, let them sit on the counter for that hour with the stuffing ring.

Fresh Green Salad,

You’all know how to make this, throw in everything you like.

I use 2 Tbls Kraft Caesar Fat Free dressing mixed with 1 Tbls of White Balsamic Vinegar, covers 2 cups of salad very well and tastes great. Only 1 Point.

Low – no fat poultry Gravy

6 or more fresh turkey wings
2 fresh turkey thighs
2 small or 1 large onion
2 large garlic cloves
3 stalks celery with leaves
2 carrots
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp savory
1 liter low sodium chicken broth

in a roasting pan lay out turkey pieces and sprinkle with seasonings. Roughly chop the veggies and throw on top of the meat. Roast in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and pour 6 cups cold water over the turkey along with the chicken broth.

Continue to cook for another 45 mins. Remove turkey and veggies from the pan and strain the broth from the pan. Use several layers of cheese cloth for a nice clear broth.

Refrigerate overnight or freeze for up to 3 months.

To make gravy, remove the solidified fat from the broth and discard.

There should be enough broth to make gravy and your stuffing. Use 1 -1/2 cups for your stuffing.

To Make The Gravy:

Heat the rest of the broth in a pot and add 1 – 1/1.2 cups of good white wine, I like piat-d’or but use your favorite.

Heat to boiling and add veloutine gravy thickener, stirring constantly Add salt to taste.

It works out to around 34 calories for ˝ cup serving or ˝ point is what I count it as.

Sheri~C 11-02-2005 04:45 PM

I found these 2 dessert recipes and thought they would be great for the holidays, a little red and green decoration on them and they would be wonderful, I am going to try them both.

Quick French Vanilla Mousse
2 cups cold fat free milk
1 pkg. (4 serving size) vanilla fat free sugar free instant reduced calorie pudding
1/4 cup General foods international coffees sugar free French vanilla Café
1 cup thawed fat free cool whip

Pour cold milk into medium bowl. Add dry pudding mix and flavored instant coffee. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes. Gently stir in whipped topping. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.
Makes 6 servings, 1/2 cup each at 2 points or 1 point Core

Pineapple Angel Lush Cake
1 package (2 serving size) vanilla instant pudding mix, sugar free
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1 cup fat free cool whip
10 oz prepared angel food cake
10 small strawberries

Mix dry pudding mix and pineapple in juice in medium bowl. Gently stir in cool whip. Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers. Place bottom cake layer, cut side up, on serving place. Spread 1 1/3 cups of the pudding mixture onto cake layer, cover with middle cake layer, spread 1 cup of the pudding mixture onto middle cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread with remaining pudding mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes 10 servings @ 2 points

Sheri~C 11-05-2005 12:45 PM

Look what I found!

this is such a cool tool to have, I haven't searched here enough but I can't wait to spend more time looking. Check it out!

http://www.counselingseattle.com/ww/1.htm

RCsMommy 11-05-2005 01:13 PM

Yum!

Thanks for those dessert recipes. They sound so good, I might trythem before the holidays! I am going to have to search for some healthy recipes to put up here. Great idea!

aprildawn 11-05-2005 06:24 PM

Sheri,
Thank you for the link to the points, I am looking at it now.

Thanks again,
Lisa http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tra...3/155/156/.png

Sevenfold 11-07-2005 11:00 PM

Oh Yum.

So, I was at the grocery store this evening...and I saw it.
It was like an angel at isle 9...

Jello Pudding - Pumpkin Spice.

So, I tried it.

Mixed the goodness with fat free milk, and poured it atop sugar free crushed graham crackers.

Let it settle, and....

Fat Free, low calorie, pumpkin pie. :devil:

Just dab on some fat free Cool-Whip and nutmeg sprinkles, and it's the best version of a holiday classic.

I'm a Halloween baby, and every year since I was able - my mother would buy me a pumpkin pie for a birthday cake.
I'd like to think i'm some sort of a pumpkin pie conniseure...

Enjoy! I'll try to come up with more....

Elanajel 11-08-2005 02:04 PM

A tasty pie

This is very easy to make and really good!

a reduced fat graham crust (Keebler, etc.)
frozen fruit (just blueberries, just cherries, a berry mix, whatever you prefer)
a little bit of margarine
a little bit of sugar
a little bit of flour

Mix everything together. It shouldn't be too gooey. Pour into the pie shell and top with something that will make it a bit crispy (crushed bran flakes, rolled oats, etc.)

Bake at 350 until cooked all the way through.

The ingredients are only given as approximates because that's how we always make this.

Enjoy!