I have been a lurker on this site for a while, (I used to post here a year ago), and I thought I would share some good ideas for whole food that contribute not only to your health, but to weight loss too.
I thought of this the other day. I got tired of chicken breast, and ground turkey by themselves so I decided to change things up a little.
What I do is think of the things I love to eat in my favorite resturants. One of them is Shake and Steaks' chilli Mac. I love, love, love this stuff, but I can only eat it as a treat every once in a blue moon.
1. Regular white Pasta
2. Their version of chilli (which is basically beef, beans, onions, and tomato paste, with seasonings)
3. A sweet tomato-ketchup concoction (I don't know what's in it but I am pretty sure that it's loaded with high fructose corn syrup)
4. Loads of shredded cheddar cheese (mmmmmmm....)
I decided to make my own gym performance chilli mac.
1. Whole wheat pasta. Does not cause an insulin party in your system like the white pasta and also stays in your system longer. (You really don't need more than a 1/2 cup of this ( cooked weight).
2. My version of the chilli that goes on top has chopped up marinated chicken breast, dark red kidney beans, onions, 1/4tsp of cornstarch-for thickness, Chilli Seasoning, Garlic, Stewed tomatoes(optional for people REALLY watching their sugar intake) I figured out that seasoning anything well makes it tase like it has more fat in it than it really has.
3. I use fat free shredded cheddar on mine, but it started to taste like the Kraft Mac and Cheese card board box, so I swiched to two tsp of regular shredded cheese. (Refuse to deprive myself....I figured instead just trick my mind into thinking that the two tsp of cheese is actually something).
4. I keep the onions. They are ok.
5. I don't use the tomato paste concoction, too much sugar.
This stuff is filling and it does'nt take much. Gives me much energy for the high intensity work outs and it's tasty too!
I have more so I will post them when I think of them.
Being creative does wonders for your figure!