Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #1  

Question "White" Party Foods

We're planning a 50th birthday party for our boss and instead of doing black balloons, crepe paper, etc., we're doing everything in WHITE. She's a stickler for not wearing white after labor day & her b-day is the 21st.

I'm looking for any recipes with the end result being white. You know like Divinity, White Choc. Dipped Foods, White Dips, etc.

The reason I'm posting here is because she's on a diet & we wanted to prepare things that she could actually enjoy without a guilt trip later.

Nickie
Old 09-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #2  
make your time

S/C/G: 184/184/140

what about blanched white asparagus? it's hard to find in your average grocery store, but it would be neat. you could also make a white dip with imitation crab or lobster --you just have to take off the redder part on the outside and you could serve in on white belgium endive lettuce leaves. of course cauliflower. little pieces of steamed scallops w/ white toothpicks.
can't think of anything else right now that doesn't involve icing or sugar!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:01 AM   #3  

Thanks
Old 09-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #4  

How about deviled eggs, popcorn balls, white jordan almonds, white chocolate covered pretzels, healthy cheesecake (!), white cheese and crackers. I know some of these arent healthy, but some can be made with healthier ingredients! Good luck. I will keep thinking. -tampagirlcmb
Old 09-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #5  

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #6  

Tortilla Pinwheels

Flour tortillas
8 oz. cream cheese
1 package dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
chooped onion
thinly sliced deli turkey

Mix the cream cheese with dressing and add chopped onion, spead over eat tortilla, top with slices of turkey. Roll each one up tightly and slice into small circles. YUM! and oh so elegant!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

cottage cheese.. although if someone made me cottage cheese for my birthday they'd be getting cottage cheese for theirs too!

Brie and Camembert cheeses are reasonably low fat and very "foodie", you cuold get some water biscuits/matzos to go with them cos they are fairly pale crackers! Oooh also prawn crackers are white but probably quite high in fat!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #8  
the muse of memory

Jicama and daikon are mildly exotic white vegetables that could go with whatever dips you're making. Cucumbers and zucchini will be mostly white if you peel them & will make good discs for dipping or substitutes for crackers w/cheese. And, of course, you can make any white dips you might normally make with fat-free yogurt and/or sour cream.

Meringue cookies & angel food cake can be low in calories. There are recipes on the Splenda website: http://www.splenda.com/recipe_detail..._angelfood.inc or you can google low-calorie meringue cookies & you'll find lots of recipes.

You could make a trifle with bananas and angel food cake, fat-free coolwhip and... I don't know, white-grape jello or similar things.

- cucumber tea sandwiches with tzatziki (made w/low-fat yogurt) made with low-calorie white bread.

Tzatziki:

2 medium size cucumbers
strained yogurt
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. wine vinegar [or lemon juice...]
a little salt
fresh chopped fennel or mint or dill [in lieu of... how about the whites from green onions?]

Strain a large tub of fat-free or low-fat yogurt in a cheesecloth lined strainer to strain off the liquid.

Peel cucumbers and grate each one length-wise with course grater.
Salt, allow to drain and press out excess liquid from grated cucumbers.

Peel garlic cloves, remove sprout if it exists and crush them.

Mix cucumber, garlic, vinegar and salt.

Fold the yogurt and the olive oil into the mixture.

Works great as a spread or a dip or a sauce.

- little sandwiches with tuna and/or chicken salad made with fat-free yogurt (or strained fat-free yogurt) instead of mayonnaise + the whites of green onions for flavor and cucumber/jicama/etc. for crunch

- those morsel-bites made with wonton skins. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray, put wonton skins in the muffin wells, spray again, and crisp in an oven for 5-10 minutes until the wonton skins are crispy and golden brown. (they burn quickly, so watch out). Fill with sugar-free vanilla pudding mixed with fat-free cool whip & a bit of fruit at the bottom for a low-calorie, exotic looking dessert, or use for veggies (firm - not watery) with a bit of a savory dip or sauce like tzatziki above for a savory bite.

Last edited by mnemosyne; 09-15-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Closed Thread