Eggplant Parmigiana

• Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any recipes for a lite eggplant parmigianae without all that oil. If you do it would reall be great. My parents have a lot of eggplants from their garden and I ussually make this for me and them ( mostly me ), but eggplants just sponge up oil. Oh, and if you have the calories facts, that would just be awesome. Thank you so much!
  • Well, Redhorror . . . . This is not exactly eggplant parmigiana, but it might help you use the eggplant AND help w/ the homefood type feeling you get from the original. I just happend to have picked up a couple of lf, ff cookbooks today and there is there following listed. . . . Also, here is a link to a website that lists lowfat EP P - http://www.malenaskitchen.com/recipe...armigiana.html -. This maybe more your speed w/ the authentic herbs and flavour. . . .

PARMESAN EGGPLANT BAKE

1 small eggplant (about 8 0z)
    2 tbsp ff chicken broth
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 c chopped ripe tomatoes (about 2 medium) drained of juice
    2 tbs italian seasoned bread crumbs
    2 tbsp grated ff parmesan cheese
    1/4 tsp dried basil

(This is cut down version of the instructions). Preheat oven to 400. Spray cookie sheet w/ cooking spray. Peel egplant and cut in to 1/2 inch slices. Place in water to cover and add about 2tbs salt let stand for 10 minuts.

Place the chicken broth in a shallow dish. Drain eggplant and pat dry. Dip the slices in the broth and arrange in a sinfle layer on prepared cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Season w/ salt and pepper if desired. Bake for 2 minuts or until almost tender. Remove from oven but leave oven on.

Scatter the chopped tomato evenly over each slice. Combine the bread crumbs w/ the cheese and basil; sprinkle evenly over the tomatoes. Return the eggplant to the oven abd bake 5-6 more min. until the crumbs are lightly browned.

- lists just a trace of fat . . .

From: "Italian: So Fat, Low Fat, No Fat by Betty Rohde (pg 154)
    ISBN#0-684-82920-7
  • I haven't personally tried it, but a reader sent us a recipe for a Balsamic Eggplant Parmesan that sounds really good. The readers that have tried it have loved it and given great reviews -

http://www.3fatchicks.com/cookbook/viewrecipe/819

This one also has received good reviews and calls for oven-frying the eggplant
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/cookbook/viewrecipe/802
  • Thank you both so much, all these suggestions sound mouth watering. I should have thought to look in the 3fc food section, though. I'm a little embarrased I didn't. Still Jenhai makes a great suggestion. I will definitely be trying one of these recipes soon.
  • Hello,
    I make eggplant parmesan all the time, and to cut out calories and fat what I do is bake the breaded slices instead of frying them, use eggbeaters to dredge the slices instead of whole eggs, and to use a mixture of parmesan and mozzarella instead of just the mozzarella.

You could use FF cheese, and SF tomato sauce and such, but it makes such a huge difference in tast to use the real stuff, IMHO.