healthy asian recipes

• hey everyone. if you have any favorite healthy asian recipes, i would love it if you could post them. i love pretty much all asian food (especially vietnamese, thai, and korean), but i have trouble finding recipes and restaurants where the dishes are not loaded with extra oils, starch, etc. the stir-fry mix packets are getting old, so i would love any fresh ideas y'all have.
  • I love Asian food, too! I look forward to reading the replies. Ok, my husband and I just figured out this recipe. We kind of just put it together as we went along...we used Teriyaki flavoring, which is actually like a Japanese flavoring, but it ended up tasting just like chinese stir-fry. I don't usually like Teriyaki, but this stuff tastes GREAT. It's made out of pineapple juice. I don't know if you have HEB where you're at, but that's where we got ours. It's called Hill Country Fare Teriyaki Marinade. It's delish!!! But you could use any type of sauce or flavoring stuff that you can find.

So, these are the ingredients:
    1 jalapeno
    1/2 sweet onion
    1/2 a head of cabbage
    5 carrots
    a bunch of broccoli
    1 pound of chicken breast
    Teriyaki sauce
    juice of 2 or 3 Valencia oranges to flavor
    1/2 TB brown sugar (optional)
    cayenne pepper, to taste
    salt and pepper, to taste
    olive oil, as needed

You just chop everything up and stir-fry it in a pan. Then serve it over rice, or I just mixed it all together (I made 4 cups of dry rice...not sure how many cups it ended up being when cooked). It's not an exact science, but when we threw all this stuff together, it tasted awesome. We were so proud, because we NEVER eat veggies...lol. It is nice to find a recipe that throws a bunch of veggies in but still tastes good...lol.

For everything together, the rice and stir-fry, it ended up only being 552 calories and 6.5 grams of fat! Not bad! We're PIGS though, so we had HUGE servings...a normal eater could probably cut the calories in half. My calculations were based on this making 8 meals. I also used I think 3 TB of olive oil, so it could probably be decreased with less oil also. And if you want it without the rice, it's only like 250 calories and 5 grams of fat, but I don't think I could go without the rice...lol.

Can you tell I'm excited about learning how to cook with vegetables? lol I'm so proud! I can't wait to see more recipes here. Ever noticed how most Asians are thin? There must be a reason! lol
  • mmm, that sounds yummy. hopefully i can find that sauce somewhere. i agree with you about the rice. i used to make stir-fry all the time, but after i started my diet i was concerned about the extra calories. so now i just use half the rice i might have normally had, or sometimes i make lettuce wraps with the stir-frys. thanks for the recipe.
  • Mmmm...lettuce wraps!!! What a GREAT IDEA!!! I can't wait to try that. Never thought about it.