Can someone explain Flaxseed to me?

• Is it like a dietary fiber? I read on the package that you sprinkle it in your food. What are the benefits? Thanks!
  • Flaxseed would provide fiber, yes, as any seed would. But, the primary benefit is to provide omega-3 fatty acids.
  • I have a friend that is a cardiologist, and if you make no other changes in diet than add flaxseed, you will significantly reduce your risk for cardiovascular disease. Flax will help reduce cholesterol. We buy seeds and grind up the hulls and sprinkle them on anything from salad to pizza. You need to bust up the hulls to get the most omega-3/digestable benefit.
  • Ingrid
    I use ground flaxseed, would that be the same as busting the hulls, or would it not be as pure, ???
    Lynda
  • I use ground or milled flax seed. I discovered the benefits of flax when I had a severe case of eczema. I used the flax oil in orange juice daily and it cleared up. I use the milled flax seed now in baking breads, muffins, etc. and it helps prevent dry skin as well as the other nutritional benefits. It is high in fibers, also high in calories. I keep both the oil and the flax seed in the fridge to maintain it's freshness.
  • Yes! Keep in the fridge.
    Actually, the oil is better in the freezer. It won't freeze, and the cold helps to keep it from decomposing.
  • Quote: I use ground or milled flax seed. I discovered the benefits of flax when I had a severe case of eczema. I used the flax oil in orange juice daily and it cleared up. I use the milled flax seed now in baking breads, muffins, etc. and it helps prevent dry skin as well as the other nutritional benefits. It is high in fibers, also high in calories. I keep both the oil and the flax seed in the fridge to maintain it's freshness.
    Hi,
    I have a question for you. I do have eczema also and I'm looking at healthy way to threat it. When you say that you use flax oil in orange juice, how many tablespoons did you use in your OJ?

Thanks
  • Here some info I found on Bob's Red Mill website: http://www.bobsredmill.com

Flaxseed Information

Ingredients:
    Flaxseed Meal

Flax Information Sheet
    Flaxseed Meal in Recipes
    You can use Bob’s Red Mill flaxseed meal as a stand in for some or all of the oil or shortening called for in a recipe. Cooks recommend a 3:1 substitution ratio. For example, 3 tbsp. Of flaxseed meal added to a recipe can replace 1 tbsp of the butter, margarine or cooking oil. When flaxseed meal is used instead of oil, baked goods tend to brown more rapidly.

Vegetarian Baking
    Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed meal mixed with water can replace an egg in selected recipes like pancakes, muffins and cookies. These baked goods are gummier and chewier than usual, and the volume is decreased. When using replacement formula, test a recipe first to determine if it meets your expectations.
    Egg Replacement Formula:
    1 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp water = 1 egg
    Mix Bob’s Red Mill flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl and let sit for one to two
    minutes. Add to a recipe as you would an egg.
    A 3-1/2 ounce serving of flaxseed provides 21g of protein, which is similar to that of soybean. While flaxseed is rich in protein, research suggests the health benefits of this seed probably have more to do with its fat and fiber profile.
    In a healthy diet, scientific evidence now confirms that flaxseed has three main health benefits: a high content of alpha-linolenic acid, as essential omega-3 fat; large quantities of soluble an insoluble dietary fiber; and the highest plant source of lignans.

Nutritional Information
    3-1/2 ounces
    Food Energy 450 calories
    Fat 41 g
    Total Dietary Fiber 28 g
    Protein 21 g
    Although about 42 percent of flaxseed is oil, very little of that fat is saturated. More than
    70 percent of the fat in flaxseed is of the healthful polyunsaturated type. In fact, a unique feature of the polyunsaturated fats in flaxseed is the high ratio of alpha-linolenic acid
    (an omega-3 fat) to linoleic (an omega-6 fat).
  • Hi Helene,

I use 2 Tbsp. in my OJ. I hope it helps you. My dh has psoriasis and this was something that I had read in the psoriasis support magazine that worked for someone else. Sadly, flax oil didn't help my dh's psoriasis (as you may know, psoriasis often responds differently in different people). But, it sure did work for my eczema. I now keep flax in my diet through baked goods with the seeds and seldom use the oil anymore except in winter time when my skin gets dry.
  • I take a supplement every day that contains flaxseed oil, fish oil and borage oil. There are several combinations available like this at your local drugstore or grocery store. The fish and borage oils provide omega-6.
  • Flax seed is a great source of dietary fiber and is also said to help prevent breast and prostate cancer http://www.cancure.org/flax.htm
    http://www.mercola.com/2001/sep/8/flaxseed.htm

There is some evidence that too much flax oil can be detrimental in regard to prostate cancer http://archives.foodsafetynetwork.ca...fnet_nov_1.htm

My husband eats an ounce of freshly ground flax seed every morning (he uses a coffee mill to grind the seeds). Because flax seed quickly loses its nutrients after it has been ground or cooked, freshly ground raw flax seed is the best kind to use for its health benefits. I also use ground flax (Bob's Red Mill) in muffins. You can also sprinkle it on cereal or oatmeal or mix it in a smoothie. My hubby just mixes it with water and chugs it down!
  • Very interesting! I have about a pound of flax seeds in my pantry waiting to be ground. How long will they stay good (whole) before I should throw them out? I was planning on using them in my cereals etc, but never got around to it. But my husband has exzema and if this can clear his skin up it would be a miracle!!!!! Should I go and buy some new stuff, mine has been in my pantry for about 4 months?
    Thanks!
  • The shelf life for whole flax seed (unground) is 5,000 to 8,000 years - so you should be ok It has a very hard shell - that's why it doesn't do you any good to eat the seeds whole - they must be ground to release the great nutrients such as Omega 3. You don't need a fancy grinder, a cheap electric coffee grinder will do the job.

My husband likes the golden flax as opposed to the brown flax. I don't think there's any difference in the nutritional value though and you can buy the brown flax seed in bulk in most large grocery stores. You can get more info about flax seed here http://www.heintzmanfarms.com/mbflax2.htm

I'm glad you reminded me - I was going to start eating some of the raw flax seed again - I got out of the habit.