Beef Jerky?

• I'm eating a low fat diet.
    Today I picked up a 1.8 oz pacage of beef jerky ...
    its loaded with protein and low in fat
    140 calories, 1 gram fat, 27 grams of protein.

Does anyone else eat jerky? And is it really ok to eat in a healthy lifestyle?
  • I eat it. I keep some around as "emergency" rations for when a sudden bout of hunger hits me. The kind I buy has 80 calories per ounce, and I've found that it takes long enough to chew and actually sticks with me for a bit afterwards that it is a pretty good way at killing a hunger attack without heading out to the local KFC instead.

I think the main problem with it is that it is pretty high in sodium. I don't care at all about my sodium intake, so this doesn't bother me. Also, I've weighed out an ounce so I know what a serving actually looks like. An once of beef jerky looks smaller than one might think. It would be easy to eat 3 or 4 servings of this stuff without really meaning to.
  • I love beef jerky and the spicier the better. Like Annie said, the sodium is really high but the protein is as well and as long as you don't overdo it I think it's a great snack. We stock up on the really good local jerky and when we have time my boyfriend will make his own with the dehydrator which is another way to do it and control the sodium a little bit more (use low sodium soy sauce, seasonings, etc).
  • Anything's okay in moderation. I can't eat it, myself. I'll end up eating the whole bag in no time, especially if it has the giant chunks of pepper and spicey goodness on it. ::drools:: That's how I am, I guess. If there's nothin' good around, I have no problem dieting. But if there's something good, then look out food!

I s'pose if you can find a lower calorie brand, and don't pull a me and inhale the bag in a split second (I kid you not), you'll be fine. (Diet beef jerky! The people demand it!)