3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Clueless Fruit-er (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/58446-clueless-fruit-er.html)

Solus 05-24-2005 09:53 AM

Clueless Fruit-er

I am looking for some suggestions on fruits that can eaten without cooking, and cut into bite-sized pieces easily.

I bring my fruit to work and slice it on my break then have it for breakfast. At the moment I primarily eat apples, oranges, and grapes, but I am looking for a wider variety. Melons and Pineapple are out because they're not easy to slice and are so messy. They're also too large to store at work.

I don't know a lot about more exotic fruits so I could use suggestions, but also some info on buying fruit I'd want to eat. Yesterday I was about to throw out a mango because it was slightly squishy to touch, but a friend stopped me and told me they are *supposed* to be slightly squishy...

A fruit guide would be nice.

SnugasaPug 05-24-2005 10:17 AM

Have you considered buying pre-cut melon/pineapple? It's more expensive but, for me at least, the convenience outweighs the cost. There are also kiwis, pears, any number of berries. In a pinch, fruit cups in natural fruit juice are also easy to take to work.

funniegrrl 05-24-2005 12:46 PM

Is there a reason you can't cut up the fruit at home and take it to work in a container? Whenever I buy melon that's exactly what I do. The first time I cut into it I cut the whole thing up, put it in a plastic container, and I'm good to go. It lasts just as long in the fridge as the whole uncut fruit would, and is much cheaper than buying the pre-cut. I also sometimes cut a small cantelope in half, scoop out the seeds, and fill the crater with cottage cheese. I just spoon out the melon and cottage cheese a bite at a time.

WaterRat 05-24-2005 01:12 PM

My grocery store sells all kinds of fruit already cut up and in plastic containers. As noted, it costs more, but it is convenient. Grapes, of course, already come bitesize :lol: as do many berries. And this is the season for fresh berries. They can be a little pricey, but oh so good.

teckeygirl 05-25-2005 09:12 AM

Bananas are great - easy to peel and eat. Berries, like someone else suggested. I love pears, plums, peaches.. not the easiest things to cut at your desk, but I just pick these up with a papertowel and eat them so my hands dont get all messy. yum!

I am guilty of buying the pre-cut melons but not just for the convenience. When they are pre-cut I can SEE them to see if they are ripe enough. No more wasted money on a not-really-ripe honeydew! If its too expensive to buy the ones in the deli, why not buy canned fruits like pineapple chunks (in their own juice, not in syrup). All you need is a can opener and a sink to drain it over.

You could also make a fruit salad on the weekend or whatever day you have time and then portion it out into smaller containers. If you dont have any - look in the plastic bags/wrap aisle for reusable containers or save cottage cheese, yogurt, margarine tubs. I'm sorta partial to the ziploc push n seal ones cause they really seem durable so far and really close well. I bought a set of 4 and havent needed to buy any more since. :)

Invidia 05-26-2005 12:29 AM

I'm lazy, so I like buying mixed fruit cups with light syrup but that's kind of expensive. You could cut honeydew melon up into little squares, it's DELICIOUS. You might even be able to buy it pre-cut. I also like plums, mangos, and strawberries. One cup of strawberries only has 45 calories!