Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #1  

Default I'm scared of cheese

Hello everyone, I'm still new and I'm so confused as what to eat, we are leaving for NYC today and I'm going to start a diet when we get back this will be my last biggy eating party LOL

but I'm am thinking I want to do the low fat thing but I don't know how much fat is good or bad if something says 1.0 grams of fat is that good or like I have a can of progresso soup and 1 cut serving is 90 cal and calories from fat is 15 so is that good and I love cheese but I'm scared to death of it on a diet what in the world am I to eat.

Ok I would like to have a cup of soup and a sandwich with cheese for breakfast about 10 in the morning, I know I would fel better having lunch for breakfast and breakfast for lunch. but what kind of cheese do I get and what kind of bread is the best oh this fat thing my drive me nuts LOL

Oh I say in another post about the portabello muchrooms on a sandwich I would like that with some onion and tomatos, and a cup of soup, but would that be to much food and do they have low fat buns or what should the fat grams be for bread for it to be good

and I really don't want to eat soup from a can I would like to make my own I love soup and I think I could eat that all the time but I like to melt cheese on the top

Can you love cheese and eat cheese and still lose weight, I need to lose 50 or 55 pounds and I would like to do it in 6 months or less can that be done,

I think I'm making myself nuts thinking about all this I just don't know what to do.

This may be to much for me to post in one post LOL sorry for chatting your heads off

Help Please
Old 04-28-2005, 11:02 AM   #2  

Be careful not to cut your calories too much ... I don't allow myself less than 1200 calories a day. I try to eat 20-25 fat grams a day, no less than 20 and no more than 25. Healthy eating is balanced.
If you buy canned soup make sure to get the Healthy Choice or similar.
Wheat breads are good for you ... grainy, nutty breads.
If you must have white bread buy the reduced calorie .. I think its 40 calories per slice. White bread, white rice, things made from white bleached flour are worthless to your body ... empty calories.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #3  
former PIC drop out

S/C/G: 310/277/140

Height: 5'4"

I agree with sunshine.. I'm doing the low fat low cal thing too.. I personally will not eat anything unless I have the nutritional info on it in writing... I try to stay under 30 grams of fat and under 1500 calories.. as long as you incorporate the cheese into your totals you can have it.. plus they have low fat and fat free cheeses.. which by the way taste awesome on oven fries.. just dont over do it.. if not.. this is what I do.. for 6 days out of the week I completly stick to my diet.. but I am allowing myself one cheat day to eat whatever I want "GUILT FREE".. not only is it good for me, it's supposedly good for tricking your metabolism to work faster..
Old 04-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #4  

OH thanks but still confused LOL
when you say total fat grams for the day how do you do that
like the soup says 15 calories from fat then it says 2 grams total fat
so do you add them all up or if you eat everything that is 20 grams of fat then you are eating 20 grams or do you add the total fat grams like it says 2 grams total fat then you eat something else that says 5 grams total fat then you add them together and you have 7 then that means you can eat 12 more total fat grams LOL hope this makes since
Old 04-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #5  
it's always something

I love WebMD, it's a great resource!!

Recent studies have shown that moderate fat (33%) diets are better than low fat or high fat. As long as the total calories stay the same, you can lose just as much weight following a moderate fat diet, in the same amount of time. The difference, though is that it's also better for the heart, provided the fats are good fats and not saturated or trans fats.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/...000_1000_nb_02

Stacey, you are right, you will just add your daily fat grams and total calories to make sure you stay within guidelines for the limit you choose. A great way to keep track is with www.fitday.com
Old 04-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #6  
former PIC drop out

S/C/G: 310/277/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey64
OH thanks but still confused LOL
when you say total fat grams for the day how do you do that
like the soup says 15 calories from fat then it says 2 grams total fat
so do you add them all up or if you eat everything that is 20 grams of fat then you are eating 20 grams or do you add the total fat grams like it says 2 grams total fat then you eat something else that says 5 grams total fat then you add them together and you have 7 then that means you can eat 12 more total fat grams LOL hope this makes since
poor thing.. ok.. it's kinda confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes very easy..

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/background.../newlabel.html
http://www.healthtouch.com/bin/ECont...LS+&cid=HTHLTH

maybe these sites can help you.. I always go by total fat and calories (I dont even look at the calories from fat).. I just write everything down and add them together at the end of the day.. JUST REMEMBER,, to look at the amount of servings per package.. like on a Progresso Chicken Rice soup.. calories = 100.. total fat=1.5.. BUT there are 2 SERVINGS in this container, it tells you at the top.. so if you eat a whole can of this soup, you are eating 200 calories and 3 grams of fat... if you need anymore help, feel free to pm me..
Old 04-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm scared of PEAS....

But I think that's just me
Old 04-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #8  
prepare for the BEST time

I only eat low fat cheese or fat-free cheese.....I take Xenical and believe me, cheese=FAT!
Old 04-30-2005, 04:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I lost about 55 pounds and I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheese. I come from the Bega Valley...it's the home of cheese lol.

Yes, you most definitly can lose weight and eat cheese. I tend to go for maximum flavour so you dont need to eat as large amounts as you may have before. Extra Tasty or Vintage are my favorites. Go for harder cheeses as opposed to soft cheese. Soft cheeses actually have more fat than hard.

I eat a fairly low-fat diet, but cheese was my one concession. Eating healthy is something for life so there was no way I was going to cut my love out of my life. I attempted...very briefly...using low-fat cheese but it was like eating a mouthful of rubber *shudders at memory*.

Livi
Old 04-30-2005, 04:35 PM   #10  

You can also use www.fitday.com to keep add up what you are eating in a day.

I eat lots of cheese, milk, and yogurt. You don't need to be frightened of the fat in cheese, you just need to be mindful of how much cheese you are eating. Make choices that give you lots of flavor so you don't use as much. Extra sharp cheddar, parmesan, goat cheese, feta cheese, blue cheese, etc. Reduced fat cheeses are also another option to look into, but read the nutritional information to figure out what a serving is even on a lighter cheese product.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:44 PM   #11  

Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese Wedges. Read more about them at http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=72.

These things are amazing. I also love cheese. I used to routinely carve a chunk off a block of muenster and start gnawing away. A wedge of Laughing Cow Light manages to give me my "gnawing on cheese" fix... for only 35 calories a pop! Heck, I could eat two or 3 wedges without much guilt, but one usually does the trick. And it really is soft and spreadable, if you're into adding stuff like cracker or sandwiches to cheese for some reason.

I just gotta wonder if the lable is right! Because no way can 35 calories be so good!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #12  
banned

Location: Connecticut, but next year I plan on going to college in Colorado.....We shall see!!!

NO NOT EAT DAIRY if you want to lose weight!!!!
they say calcium is KEY to loosing weight: TAKE A SUPPLEMENT!!!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 09:09 PM   #13  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Umm...I eat dairy all the time and I have lost 15lbs....It is better to get your calcium straight from dairy products but you can have them in the low fat version.

It is very important for women to get their calcium in order to prevent osteoporosis (sp?) in later years.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:06 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Eating dairy actually helps weightloss and is better than a calcium supplement. Lower fat dairy products usually have even more calcium than the full fat ones.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:17 AM   #15  

Default the power of cheese

I've actually realized that with portions, I can still have my beloved cheese. I'm careful to use shredded cheese sparingly. There are some fat free versions that are okay as toppings for a baked potato, etc.

Right now, I'm buying string cheese. They are pre-wrapped in single-serve packages so I know exactly how much I'm getting. And ripping the strips of cheese makes the snack last longer. One of those is 20% of your daily calcium and the ones I have are only 80 calories, 6g of fat. Some have more or less than that. In my diet, I rarely eat even close to my "allowed" fat grams, so I dont worry about having one of these a day.. especially since its so much of my daily calcium in one snap. I believe thats even more than is in yogurt.

I also buy the higher calcium cottage cheese - Light 'n Lively I think.

My biggest thing is not just managing fat grams and calories, but making sure that what I'm eating has some sort of nutritional worth for my body. I mean, I could eat 1200 calories by just eating low-fat chips all day, but thats not helping my body
Closed Thread