3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Strange or different healthy foods and snacks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/55662-strange-different-healthy-foods-snacks.html)

Healthy4Life 03-31-2005 12:36 PM

Strange or different healthy foods and snacks

I love eating green beans with steak sauce. Some may snarl there nose at this. I'm just wondering does anyone have any other unique healthy foods or snacks they enjoy?

marbleflys 03-31-2005 12:46 PM

defrosted frozen Del monte premium blue lake green beans with low sodium teraki....(yes I'm weird)....

low sodium vegetable or chicken broth, with beaten egg white (egg drop soup!)

sweet pepper rings wrapped around a cherry tomato....

salad dressing or low-sodium soy sauce and balsamic vinegar....

( I feel like I'm confessing here)

Tealeaf 03-31-2005 02:22 PM

Peas. Frozen peas. I thaw them (alot of them) and toss them in salad. I toss them into canned soup. I use them as a side dish. I hope they're kinda good for me!

rebelridergirl 03-31-2005 02:59 PM

I really like canned water packed tuna with salsa mixed in it. Sometimes I eat it in a bowl or sometimes mix it all in a salad. Everyone says its nasty. I love it!

missaprylj 03-31-2005 11:13 PM

I agree with the canned tuna.... love it. And it is also good with cottage cheese instead of mayo- and a lot better for you.

I love tofu... some people think that's weird. Hummus, Baba ganouj (like an eggplant relish) is really good and so is tabouli. Both can be made really healthy, look for ff or lf recipes online to check them out. My friends and family think I'm nuts for loving that stuff! :)

KTna 04-01-2005 10:12 AM

What a great thread!
I love tofu also, (since I learned how to cook it) and hummus, and I also use tons of peas in my cooking.
But as a vegetarian I don't find those things strange at all.

Lets see something weird, maybe carrots with a honey mutard dip - I usually get looks for that.

VermontChick 04-02-2005 11:07 AM

I love tuna fish on rice cakes...or anything strange piled on rice cakes. They give off that crunch and robust heartiness with a fraction of the calories of crackers or bread.

hefty1 04-02-2005 07:28 PM

try cheese with pickles on crackers or pent butter and cheese. glen

lizziness 04-07-2005 01:14 PM

I like to toss balsamic vinegar with green beans, gives a good flavor.

Also in my family is a weird treat we always called pear and cheese salad, a pear halve with a bit of mayo in the middle, and cheese sprinkled over the top, set it on a lettuce leaf for presentation. Sounds so gross, but is so yummy.

mauvaisroux 04-07-2005 03:11 PM

I like canned tuna mixed with a little low-fat mayo and some garlic powder - sometimes I mix the tuna with a gourmet mustard (like chipotle -lime) instead of the mayo.

Hummous and tabouleh are awsome on pita and dipping raw veg in hummous or roasted red pepper dip is good to. I like ryvita crackers with laughing cow cheese spread.

Strips of raw sweet red pepper wrapped in a slice of lean ham and a lettuce leaf are yummy too!

teckeygirl 04-09-2005 01:23 AM

I think this will take the cake..

This is weird and sort of pathetic...

I never liked fat free hot dogs (but i did get some fat free beef ones yesterday that were great) but my kids would get hot dogs sometimes and I'd crave one. Well, as a kid I always put ketchup, mustard, and relish on my dogs.. so as a replacement and a snack.. I'd take a piece of bread, put ketchup, mustard, and relish on it... fold it in half and eat it. It brought all the tastes I put on my hot dog and no it wasnt the same, but sometimes it fulfilled the desire I had.

That has to be the strangest snack!

Suzanne 3FC 04-09-2005 02:10 AM

It sounds good to me, teckeygirl :) You couldn't pay me to eat a hotdog, but I have been known to fill a bun with all the toppings and enjoy the flavor of that. I also like hamburger buns with ketchup, mayo, and onions - no burgers for me :)

Luciole 04-10-2005 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teckeygirl
This is weird and sort of pathetic...

I never liked fat free hot dogs (but i did get some fat free beef ones yesterday that were great) but my kids would get hot dogs sometimes and I'd crave one. Well, as a kid I always put ketchup, mustard, and relish on my dogs.. so as a replacement and a snack.. I'd take a piece of bread, put ketchup, mustard, and relish on it... fold it in half and eat it. It brought all the tastes I put on my hot dog and no it wasnt the same, but sometimes it fulfilled the desire I had.

That has to be the strangest snack!

Teckeygirl... I have done that too!!! When I was a kid I used to eat ketchup and relish sandwhiches all the time. I remember talking on the phone to my friend and I mentioned what I was eating. Her response was so filled with horror and sympathy that I think she must have thought I was some poor orphaned waif. "Don't you have any food at your house" She says. :hungry:

I think my strangest diet friendly snack was when I heated up my boca burger and sandwhiched little pieces of it between baked lays chips. I'm sure it must sound bizarre but it was actually pretty good!

Alchina 04-10-2005 03:48 PM

Great thread!! I love the tuna and salsa idea, I'll have to try that one!! Do you use fresh salsa or canned??

I'm sitting here tring to think of strange snacks I eat......I love to eat frozen sweet baby peas also...How about celery sticks with laughing cow light cheese spread, and mashed cauliflower (I don't eat them together). Those are just 2 strange snacks I enjoy.

lucky 04-10-2005 09:02 PM

Teckeygirl: I do the exact same thing with hot dog buns. I only add mustard and ketchup. But, I can't wash it down with anything but skim milk. I have no idea why but no other drink will do!