Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:09 AM   #1  

Question Coconut Oil

I'm a newbie here and find this a very informative and supportive place to visit. My question is has anyone used coconut oil in place of other oils or as a supplement. I've read both positive and negative things about using coconut oil. Any feedback either way?

Last edited by Healthy4Life; 03-29-2005 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:50 AM   #2  
it's always something

I looked into it, and decided that I personally was more comfortable avoiding it. I use olive oil most of the time, and have recently discovered hazelnut and walnut oils for some purposes. My personal choice is to wait until the American Heart Association says coconut oil is ok. At this point, they still recommend against it. I do love coconut, and occasionally cook with coconut milk. But that's as far as I'm going with it.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #3  
Meg

The only 'pro' coconut oil info I've ever seen has come from sites selling the stuff. I'd be interested in reading an unbiased source of information about its benefits, if anyone knows of one.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #4  

Even health food stores are carrying it now, but I won't be eating any any time soon. Dr. Andrew Weil -- who does not shy away from alternative medicine or food theories -- says stay away: http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA316479/
Old 03-29-2005, 03:06 PM   #5  

So I am wondering what is the best oil to cook with if on a diet. I have an ancient can of Pam (think the label is in hyroglyphics, but not concerned since none of the ingredients are organic) but sometimes you just need more lube for stir fry, etc.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #6  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Here's the skinny, after a thorough google search, I was also unable to find any real informative non-biased articles on the health benefits of coconut oil....so it's probably a case for some good old fashioned common sense.

As we all know, there are four basic types of fat: saturated, trans fats, and unsaturated fats (mono and poly). Saturated fats are usually linked to raising "bad" cholesterol, but not ALL of them. There are three fatty acids in particular that raise cholesterol: Lauric, Myrisic, and Palmitic fatty acids...COCONUT OIL CONTAINS A LARGE QUANTITY of these fatty acids.

Yes, it may be that coconut oil has health benefits (antiviral agents, thyroid disease) -HOWEVER, there is no evidence that these health benefits include weight loss. Call a spade a spade, saturated fat is saturated fat. It raises bad cholesterol and elevated bad cholesterol causes Heart Disease.

As far as the health benefits of the poly and monounsaturated fats, there's no real proof that there is any, just evidence. Some believe that the use of these fats in place of saturated fats may only increase "good" cholesterol because of the reduction in saturated fats.

I found a couple non biased articles, a few people were curious:

http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/Fo...s_oils_faq.asp

and

http://www.healthcastle.com/goodfats-badfats.shtml

not sure of the second one, but the first one is a non profit web site in australia, so it's legit.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:17 AM   #7  

Thanks for the helpful info! I had actually started adding coconut oil to my diet. I am now going to completely eliminate this from my diet. All I had found before were articles that praised its benefits. I guess anyone selling a product won't mention the downsides. My cholesterol has been at a healthy level. I hope my two-week use of the coconut oil hasn't changed that.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:51 AM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I posted about it in the Buyer Beware forum, check out that thread as well.

The one thing the article I had *did* say that I wanted to try was a spoonful of coconut cream in your coffee in the morning. That would be yum. As for the rest of it, I am Italian, we cook w/olive oil.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:57 PM   #9  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey, I'm glad someone benefited from my little late night research!! Ha ha, seriously though I'm glad to hear you've stopped taking cocounut oil, at least until further evidence has been established.
Closed Thread