Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 02:40 PM   #1  

Default in college and need new ideas on microwave cooking

When I am at home I grill chicken all the time - however I do not have the luxury of doing that in college. I'm looking for some recipes that are easy, low cal that I can cook in the microwave that might be able to add variety to what I am eating now. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #2  
it's always something

Can you use a George Foreman grill there? It's compact, though a little messy to clean.

I'm afraid the only thing I cook in the microwave are Lean Cuisines. I've never had any luck cooking real food in one. I hope someone will come along that can share some ideas
Old 01-22-2005, 01:54 PM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I have a Tupperware Micro Steamer that I cook lots of things in. You just add water to the bottom, put the food in the basket & nuke for 10 minutes or so.

I'm sure you can find a cheaper one elsewhere, because mine was $25, I think. But check the rummage sales. You can cook chicken in it, shrimp, veggies, reheat leftover pasta & rice, etc.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #4  
Building my Body for Life

Molly, Do you have an oven in your dorm (assuming you live in a dorm)? Ours had one in the basement. I didn't use it often but that would be an option. I actually used to cook chicken and other food at my boyfriend's apartment, store it in a container in my dorm room refrigerator and microwave it to heat it back up. That's an option if you have friends that live off campus.

Maybe you could consider a toaster oven? I've never used one but some people swear by them. I don't know how well it works with proteins though.

The micro cooker is a good idea as well. I know Tupperware makes one (as pp said) - so does Pampered Chef. I've even seen them at Wal-Mart.

You can always go with frozen dinners, as Suzanne said, but I know they're kind of expensive. Do you have a campus meal card? How about getting an extra portion at dinner and putting it in the refrigerator till the next day?

Just some ideas... I'm not too far removed from this lifestyle.

Good luck!
Jocelyn
Old 02-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #5  

I buy the grilled frozen chicken breasts at WalMarts and reheat these in the microwave. That way, I can heat only 1 or 2 at a time and use in recipes. Another option might be a crockpot and cook several chicken breasts at once, then refrigerate and use throughout the week. Hope this helps!
Old 03-24-2005, 04:06 PM   #6  

Default Egg Beaters

It may seem gross, but you can cook egg beaters in a microwave. I used to keep generic egg beaters in my fridge, mix it with some salsa, and you got some make-shift huevos rancheros!!
Closed Thread