3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds

Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Books about nutrition?

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 11:21 AM   #1

Default Books about nutrition?

Greetings, I made my first journal entry last night (Search for breaking up with FRED if you want to know a bit more about me.) While I'm not currently on a diet, I am doing a lot of thinking/learning and restructuring. I am hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good book or two on nutrition. I'd like to start doing my own research and put together a framework that works for me, but need more information than I currently have. Do you have any favorites?
Old 02-25-2005, 01:09 PM   #2

THE classic book on nutrition has been out a long time -- Jane Brody's Nutrition Book. While it won't be up-to-date on some issues and buzzwords that have emerged recently, it is still good, solid, easy-to-read information. For example, she was warning about partially hydrogenated oils (what we now call trans fats) 30 years ago.

You can also get a lot of information from the web site for The American Dietetic Association (www.eatright.org), and www.nutrition.org.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:44 PM   #3

Funny you should post this now. Today I just finished reading The Dish: On Eating Healthy and Being Fabulous by Carolyn O'Neil and Denise Webb. It was chock full of good information in a breezy style and geared to the lives we lead today, not some made-up Stepford scenerio. I also can't remember anything that I had to discount or "throw out" based on what I already know. I got my copy from the local library.

I refuse to give up control for convenience

S/C/G
230/180/TBD (size 10?)
Old 02-25-2005, 09:31 PM   #4

Thanks, I'll add those to my library list and then browse the books in that section. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:19 PM   #5
ípoco a poco!

I love both The Nutrition Bible, by Patrick Holford and Complete Nutrition, by Dr Michael Sharon. They are both easy to read and bursting with great info!

Old 03-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #6

Wow, am I feeling powerful this morning! I just saw on the 3FC home page that they are getting ready to review The Dish. Am I that influential, or was it just coincidence? Please don't burst my bubble Suzanne

I refuse to give up control for convenience

S/C/G
230/180/TBD (size 10?)
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.