Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #1  
AprilShowers

Default Looking for Low Calorie Breakfast and Snack Ideas need help.

HI, I'm looking for some low calorie breakfast ideas. I'm so tried of the yogurt or wheat toast. And snacks I can only get so much of 100 calorie cookies to cure my sweet tooth. HELP!!!
Old 01-18-2005, 05:00 PM   #2  

There are some good snacks listed in the post "what are your favorite snacky foods". My favs right now are granola bars and veggie salad.

I usually end up having a pita or wrap for breakfast with turkey and hummus. It's quick and filling and gets me going. Otherwise I bought some Total I'm not too thrilled with, or I guess and egg white omelet with veggies.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:28 PM   #3  

I think one of the best breakfasts out there is a good high-fiber, low-sugar cereal and lowfat milk. Honestly, hard to beat and tasty too. You can go the cold cereal route, or hot. Avoiding the "instant" oatmeals and using the kind you actually cook is your best bet nutritionally.

There's always cottage cheese, eggs, etc. How about french toast & fruit? Yogurt & low-fat granola? Whole-grain waffles?

You don't even have to do "breakfast food" -- grilled cheese sandwiches, turkey roll-up, the list is endless. Just combine a good protein source with some fruit and/or whole grains and you're set.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #4  
Kim

I love Kashi Heart to Heart cereal with skim milk. To snack, I usually eat Yoplait fat free yogurt (I love the strawberry and lemon cream pie). Also, I make chocolate Jello sugar free fat free instant pudding. The All Bran granola bars are really good too.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:33 PM   #5  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

A quick grilled cheese sandwhich idea:

Toast two slices of bread on medium darkness.

Place two pieces of cheese between

Microwave for 12 seconds on a paper towel.

Voila! No added fat, no soggy bread, and it fills you up, too. Takes about a minute and a half. This was a breakfast staple for me in high school and college.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:22 AM   #6  
it's always something

I frequently eat vegetarian chili for breakfast Don't limit yourself to traditional breakfast foods, eat anything that gives you energy to start your morning.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:27 AM   #7  
singletrack chick

egg whites are great low cal. breakfast foods. i have some good 80 cal. low carb torillas and i make egg white breakfast burritos a lot. low cal, and quick.

i also eat egg white omlettes.

some times i just scramble up a lot of veggies with some egg whites and salsa and eat it with toast or seven grain hot cereal.

i make a 185 cal. sausage cheese bagel with sarah lee mini bagels, morning star farms breakfast pattie (vegetarian sausage) and a slice of fat free Kraft american. this is usually a pre run or workout meal because it is light, but it fills me up for the entirety of my workout.

some times when i'm on the go i make eggwhite patty sandwhiches with a slice of tomatoe, maybe a little cheese, some green onion and wheat bread. about 150 cal. and very portable.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:55 AM   #8  
missaprylj

Kashi cereals, a cantaloupe half (scrape out seeds) w/ the hole filled with cottage cheese, good home-made soups, a fruit smoothie (blend 1/2 a cup of fruit, 1/2 cup of juice and a handful of ice cubes... or whatever quantities you want!).

I love breakfast!

Old 01-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #9  
Mary Ellen :D

I have really been into eating turkey bacon. Not a lot of calories and sooo much less fat than regular bacon. I'll have a few slices and some toast with peanut butter.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #10  

If you're in a hurry, eggo waffles have 100 calories each (even less for the Special K eggos). If you get the flavored ones, just pop them in the toaster & go--no syrup necessary.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #11  

That waffle would probably be great with some peanut butter and a cup of coffee!!

Yum!! Thanks.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Get a lite english muffin (100 cals), microwave 2 egg whites (40cals), use one slice fat free cheese and one slice canadian bacon (~50cals for both) and add a dash of frank's red hot. It works for me and my boyfriend both in the mornings and it's really easy! For a quick snack I stick those premade fat free puddings in the freezer for a few hours and then eat them as a frozen treat (90cals). Just some ideas...
Old 02-10-2005, 03:17 PM   #13  

Two pieces Lite toast w/ peanut butter....
Instant Oatmeal - bannana on side
Kashi cereal w/banana and skim milk.....
Walmart Lowfat fruit yogurt - 80 calories and only 38cents....
wrap (80 calories) with whatever inside.
Luna Protein bars (190) calories.....
fat free jellos and fat free puddings
Closed Thread