hummus

• hey everyone!
    sorry for my ignorance but what is hummus and is it good?
    i keep reading these threads about veggies and hummus dip, I'm rather curious about it!!!!
    Please enlight me (?)

kisses
    and thanks
  • It is pureed chick peas (garbanzo beans), sesame seed paste, and usually garlic, lemon juice and olive oil - plus extra spices for different flavors. It's very good! I like homemade better than from a grocery store, but many store brands are also good.
  • Try several
    Try a few different brands and/or recipes if you don't find something you love right away. There are few foods that I have found as much variation between recipes! It's a great afternoon snack with veggies or whole grain crackers (I love it on Wasa crackers).

Peg
  • It is one of my favorite things -- I prefer the traditional version with no added stuff to spice it up -- but it can be high in fat because of the sesame seed paste, and is also starchy because of the garbanzos. But, it is a VERY healthy food when eaten in moderation, regardless of the type of diet you follow.
  • It can be high in fat but you can make your own if you have a blender

Just google for low fat recipes and you should find loads. This is an example.
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Appet...mmusLowFat.htm