3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Anyone try the Smart Balance microwave popcorn? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/48164-anyone-try-smart-balance-microwave-popcorn.html)

Girlie 10-20-2004 11:43 AM

Anyone try the Smart Balance microwave popcorn?

I'm interested in this because I am trying to cut out trans-fat/partially dehydrogenated oils from things like this.

I have a pack of this right here next to me to snack on at work...was hoping I'd find a review...but I'll have to respond to my post when I pop it!

Girlie

Girlie 10-20-2004 12:06 PM

OK I went to pop it here at work and um...it didn't work out. After 30 seconds in the microwave, I smelled scorching...and I looked in and a hole was burning near the top of the bag. I took the bag out (not a kernel had even popped!!!) and noticed a few other places where the bag was starting to burn already. It wouldn't have made it 2-2.5 minutes.

I'll try again with another bag when I get home. I wonder if this has anything to do with the oils that are used. Since they are not hydrogenated, the package says there may be slight staining on the bags because the oils are liquid and not solidified.

Arrgh.

Hope someone else had a good experience.

Girlie

Girlie 10-21-2004 11:16 AM

Update...

I popped a bag when I got home. I think the high-powered microwave here at work was too much for the bag...or maybe that bag was just faulty.

Anyway, the popcorn was good for having no trans-fat in it...I do love Pop Secret light made with real Land o Lakes butter though....

Arrgh.

Girlie

StarSpangled 10-24-2004 12:52 PM

I have used this popcorn at home with a 1000 watt microwave with a popcorn sensor and a built in turntable and it turns out great! I use a saucer to elevate the bag and that helps with using all the kernels. We try to eat a healthy lifestyle and not eat a lot of trans fat, though the price of this popcorn may not be worth it... I like the Paul Newman and I think that has no trans fats though it is hard to find it in grocery stores. Health food and our natural foods coop has it. Sometimes I have micro pop popcorn which is basic airpop and a little real butter on it! The land o lakes sounds really good... May have to try that!

SuchAPrettyFace 10-24-2004 11:53 PM

I am DEATHLY allergic to hydrogenated oil.

I cannot have microwave popcorn. My lips puff up, my face & neck get flush, leaves a rock in my stomach, just your typical anaphalactic reaction. :dz:

So, YES, I have tried the Smart Balance. And I love it. No problems at all. Same with the Newman's Own, but that's harder to find.

laura_on_a_bike 10-25-2004 09:42 AM

i by the jar of kernels at the store. then i measure out as little or as much as i want into a paer bag and fold the tope over a couple of times. then throw in the microwave and wait. i eat so much popcorn that this is the most economic way for me too go. as well, i cant ever finish a whole bag of popcorn on my own so this allows for better portin conrtol on my part. best thing is that there is nothing on the popcorn. just the taste of good popcorn. i then season it on my own if i am in the mood for something more.

Girlie 10-25-2004 11:20 AM

I found the Smart Pop on sale at Schnucks for $1.99 for 3 bags. Still pricey for popcorn kernels.

I need to buy an air popper.

Jennifer 3FC 10-25-2004 11:48 PM

I tried the Newmans popcorn and I threw the whole box away after eating a few bites of the first bag. We're popcorn junkies at my house and nobody liked it. Maybe we had a bad box? It had an odd taste to it. Not corny - more like cardboard. There is another popcorn thread here in Food - there are suggestions for popping it in a pan with olive oil, plus flavorings...