Low Fat Snacking

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hello All! I am new to this site but it seems very helpful. I have been looking around on here for a Low Fat snacking thread but have not seen one. SOOOOOO, I am big for snacking and I was wondering if ppl had any ideas on things I could snack on that aren't fattening beside the typical Fruity and Vegetables????? Thank-you and hope to be hearing lotsa cool ideas soon!!
  • Boo Hoo
    Nobody has anything they like to snack on that is Fat free? I have just returned from the grocery store and I picked up FIG NEWTONS, mmmmmmm. They are grrrreat!!!!!
  • I am doing Core. Also, most of the fat free stuff has trans fats in it and is way too sweet for my taste. I also have to avoid eggs and soy and I find thats in alot of stuff. Personally, I snack on non fat Dannon plain yougurt with fruit and Splenda. Lean ham rolled up with spicey mustard in the middle. Oatmeal with fruit and splenda. Rolled up Turkey and avacodo is yummy too.
  • Oh, fat free pretzels and dip are good. What about a backed potato with some sort of fat free topping? Fat free sour cream or salsa?

Hmmm let me think some more for you. Its been a rough week for our family and I am a little brain dead. LOL
  • This may sound strange but my daughter put a yoplait yogurt in the freezer and now i do it all the time...You can only used the ones that say WHIPPED but frozen it tastes great, kind of like sherbet or ice cream depending on the flavor you get.
  • I hate to tell you this but... Veggies are the best snack out there. They are filling, full of fiber, you don't have to worry about what secret ingredients are in it and super low calorie. I eat tons of grape tomatoes because they are sweet and tasty. I also eat sweet bell peppers.

Since I eat 6 small meals a day, I never snack.

• i don't understand how someting can be fat free and full of trans fats?
    a lot of foods that are fat free are high cal and it's ultimately the amount of calories that matter.
    try not snacking but having more frequent and smaller meals like nellie said. eat protein with your meals/snacks to keep you satisfied.
    sometimes it's hard not to have alittle something at night. try popcorn with some cheese on the side.
    gen
  • Wow, thanks a lot! However I am not too sure about the 6 small meals thing. I have 1 toddler and a 5 month old baby so I tend to build my meals around my children. Including my hubby, lol!
  • Quote:
    i don't understand how someting can be fat free and full of trans fats?
    a lot of foods that are fat free are high cal and it's ultimately the amount of calories that matter.
    try not snacking but having more frequent and smaller meals like nellie said. eat protein with your meals/snacks to keep you satisfied.
    sometimes it's hard not to have alittle something at night. try popcorn with some cheese on the side.
    gen
    Sorry. I mis-spoke. Its low fat items that can contain trans fats.
  • Trans Fat information
    http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2003/503_fats.html
  • Thx for the link, the site has some awesome info the cchart looks helpful...
  • Here are some snacks I like:

1) string cheese paired w/ a few pretzels or an apple - approx. 150-200 calories
    2) 1 Cascadian farms chewy fruit granola bar (140) w/ a glass of 1% milk (100)
    3) A glass of 1% milk (100) and a banana (100) - this is good and surprisingly filling
    4) 1 oz. of nuts - approx. 180 cal.
    5) Cucumber slices & carrot sticks dipped in hummus (calories vary according to how much hummus you eat)
    6) Boiled egg (80) & string cheese (80)
    7) Fruit smoothie (approx. 250) - cut up & freeze some fruit (I freeze bananas, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, etc.). Put frozen fruit into a blender; among the fruit you choose, be sure to use a banana - it adds so much sweetness that you won't need any other sweetner. Pore in about 1/2 - 3/4 cup 1% milk & blend until all the fruit is fully incorporated. Add milk as needed. It should have a milkshake-like consistency. I love this smoothie because there's no ice to make it watery. The frozen fruit substitutes for the ice.

Hope that helps!
  • Fat free sugar free yogurt is good.

I make my own lower fat mini muffins in various flavours (zuchinni, oatmeal, banana, apple); a few plain for myself and then the rest with chocolate chips for my kids (5 and 2). I use a mini muffin tin so the portion is tiny (perfect for me and the kids) and freeze most of them so I only have a few available at a time.
  • Hi - a granola bar cut into 4 pcs then nuked til soft then pressed out abit - makes 4 "cookies" for 2 pts. Chocolate Simple Pleasure cookies filled with ff cool whip then put in freezer. Nacho chips with ff sour cream & salsa. Popcorn. Veggies with light ranch dressing for dip. Cheesestring. Turkey Bites. Hope this helps.
  • Hello I found this grrreat snack. They are called "Rold Gold Honey Wheat Braided Twists". There is less than 1 gram of fat per serving and they taste awesome.