3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   HELP!!! Very nervous new calorie counter-- (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/45715-help-very-nervous-new-calorie-counter.html)

reginag 08-26-2004 06:17 PM

HELP!!! Very nervous new calorie counter--

I am totally new to calorie counting and decided to go out and purchase low calorie/low fat items to have on hand and to help lower calorie intake. To my horror, these low far/cal foods look like they are loaded with all sorts of other stuff (some dairy foods, dressing, etc). Mind you, I am not talking junk food, cookies, etc. as I gave refined sugars and carbs a couple of years ago. For instance, I used to buy regular sour cream. When I compared it to the non fat version, sure there was considerably less fat and about 40 less calories/2 TBS, but it was loaded with all sorts of starches/sugar. So here is my question, do you all favor more natural foods with higher fat/cal counts or do you just focus strictly on calorie intake? Maybe instead of eating 2 tbs of the non fat stuff, I should just have 1 tbs of the real thing and save on the calories that way. Please help, I am so confused. :?:

UnCafeCvooPlay 08-26-2004 08:52 PM

I think it just depends on your preference. I believe that a calorie is a calorie when it comes to losing weight, so I just focus on that. It's hard enough for me to focus on cutting calories, and I don't think I could do it if I had to worry about fat, sugar, etc.

Suzanne 3FC 08-26-2004 09:45 PM

I agree that it's all about personal preference. When they take out the fat, they have to replace it with something, so you still have the same texture or consistency. That usually involves a lot of chemicals and starches. If you are counting calories, compare the various versions, such as whole, light, and fat free. Sometimes the calorie difference between the light and the fat free is so small, that it's worth it in flavor to go with the light.

My personal preference really depends on how I'm using it. Sometimes a fat free or light sour cream will do just fine. But sometimes, nothing can substitute for the real thing. In those cases, I just use less. Sometimes, I even mix :)

Usually, I would rather have a small amount of something "real" than a larger amount of an artificial substitute.

a broad abroad 08-27-2004 01:41 AM

I'm a calorie counter too and I go for the real/original versions usually, just less. There's enough added sugar in things that we're not aware of so if you can avoid it in things that you are aware of I would. Besides, the real versions are generally more filling AND fulfilling.

reginag 08-27-2004 10:36 AM

Thanks guys! BB, I think that I would have to agree with you. I tried that fat free sour cream on my whole wheat toast, and sugar free jelly this morning and just about ...... I just can't stomach it. I think that I may just stick to less of the real stuff for now and see how it goes. Thanks again. Regina