Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 01:36 AM   #16  
Empress/Queen

I believe it's entirely possible to lose lots of weight eating really crappy food (have done so), but as stated above, it eventually compromises your calorie counting efforts if you do it too often (IMO) ... if your body isn't getting enough nutrition, you're going to crave more and more food and it'll be all but impossible to control calories ... so ideally, the junk food should be eaten in limited amounts in a calorie controlled diet, then you'll have room for the stuff that'll do you some good! IMO!
Old 08-13-2004, 07:06 AM   #17  

Hello everyone! I agree with the fact that calories and fats and good foods make a difference. I started out on the South Beach diet and now do a little of all info. gathered and I feel better and have kept my weight stable. I still need to lose 15lbs to be where I'd like to be. I sometimes get into the cookies if I bake or chips if their in the house. But I know that when I cut out white sugars , flours etc.... I didn't crave them and couldn't believe the energy I had. I have to get going again and be serious about losing so today is another day and its time. I am going to try the calorie counting for a wk or 2 and see how I do but will stick to healthy eating as much as possible. I still think south beach works for me and I try to eat lean meats etc. but I do like my fruits. Good luck everyone and thanks for all the good info. on this site.
skyfirefly

Last edited by SKYFIREFLY; 08-13-2004 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:43 AM   #18  

UnCafeCvooPlay, I don't think you should go below 1500 calories. That equation of multiplying by 12 is very general and does not take into account your age or activity level, both of which make a difference. You're 18, so your resting metabolic rate is higher than someone like me who is 36. I recommend a book called DIETING FOR DUMMIES. In it the author gives some good, common sense advice on dieting, with a focus on counting calories. She gives you an equation for figuring out how many calories you need. I used this book to lose 40 lbs. When I started I was 180, and I believe I was allowed to eat a little over 1600 calories per day to lose 1 lb. a week. I ended up trying to stick with 1500 per day, and it worked! This was a revelation to me since on past diets I'd tried to stick to 1200 per day and felt as if I was starving. However, at 1500 per day, I felt satisfied. So, my advice is to get that book and do the calculation. However, even with the calculation, I wouldn't go below 1500 if I were you, even if it meant losing only 1/2 lb. a week. At your age you need the nutrition, which brings me to your original questions . . .

Like others have stated, I believe you can lose weight just counting calories, but you won't get proper nutrition and you won't be making a permanent change in your eating habits. My advice is to eat healthy most of the time (80%) and treat yourself some of the time (20%).

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2004, 08:23 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have a little different opinion about low calories. I hang between 1200 and 1300 cals per day. I use fitday.com and check to make sure I'm averaging that over time (weeks). However, I take a multivitamin, calcium and vitamin B and I'm very conscious of my food choices. I've learned healthy substitutions. Fruit for sweets, crisps for bread ... that protein fills you better than processed carbs.
I have squeezed 1 1/2 donuts into my 1200 cals but regretted it. I was hungry and sluggish.
Vmelo is right. Research. You'll find that while a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, good food just works better. This is the fuel you need to run your body. What good is it if you're lovely and slender but don't have the energy to go to the dance?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:50 PM   #20  

Yes, it may be possible, but it cannot be healthy. I will reiterate the point that while snack foods are okay to consume, they should NOT be the entire basis of your diet. This is when people start blaming the foods, and they cannot figure out why their energy is waning, etc. There is nothing wrong with snacks and candy if they are eating sparingly, as they are designed to be eaten.
Closed Thread