Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 04:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/235/TBD

Height: 5'4

Lightbulb Getting Thin & Loving Food

I don't enjoy cooking. But the same week I began my weight loss journey, I saw Kathleen Daelemans on the Today show talking about her new cookbook "Getting Thin & Loving Food." (She has a show on the Food Network, but I don't have cable so I have never seen it.) I knew that my hubby and I had to start eating better food than our normal Hamburger Helper so I got her book from the library.

This book has completely changed the way we eat. Most of her recipies are really easy and they are so good. We don't have kids yet, so we split the meal two ways instead of the normal four, and they are still low-cal enough that I finish the day in my target 1600-1800 calorie range. And for the first time ever we are eating real food, not stuff out of a box. Plus, she talks about her own weight-loss journey and it so inspiring!

Of course I eventually had to return the book to the library but I hadn't gotten to try all the recipes so I went out and bought it. It is the best $27 I have spent in a very long time.

I know it probably sounds like I work for her or something, but I just had to share how great this book has been for me.

Last edited by ElisabethCK; 08-01-2004 at 04:51 PM. Reason: bad spelling!
Old 08-01-2004, 06:49 PM   #2  
it's always something

Cooking Thin! That's the name of her show on FoodTV. I do get the channel, but admit I've never watched her show. Her weekly recipes can be found on the FoodTV website http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_cn

I agree that food can be enjoyed while on a diet. I love Cooking Light magazine (and cookbooks) for that reason, everything is delicious. I could never stick to a very restrictive diet with plain foods. I much prefer to enjoy my meals, and cut back enough to make a difference, without feeling like I was on a diet.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out her show now
Old 08-01-2004, 07:38 PM   #3  

i really enjoy her show and i have gotten great ideas from her!! since you have enjoyed the book so much i am going to go make an investment and get it myself!! thank you so much for the great review!!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:34 AM   #4  

Thanks for the link Suzanne. I am always on the lookout for recipe resources, and agree that the secret to losing weight is too learn to enjoy cooking (if you don`t already!) and eat well by trying new exciting, different recipes so you don`t get bored. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:43 AM   #5  

great show-and helpful tips too! one of the things i've learned that helps out a ton-is with hummus-when making it-instead of using EVOO (olive oil) I use chicken broth-low cal, low fat-full of flavor!

It's great that they have more spokespeople to help us learn smarter ways to cut cals and fat without losing the flavor
Old 08-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Her show is great and so is the book I want to sit down and plan meals with it before I go to the store
Closed Thread