Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 11:25 PM   #16  

I just recently bought a GF and noticed they also sell a separate sponge with notches in it for cleaning the grill (I was in Linens-n-Things). I didn't buy it, but I haven't had any trouble cleaning the grill as long as I do it immediately while it's still warm.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:26 AM   #17  

I have a villaware grill and like it a lot for certain things. Its easier to clean than the GF grill, and the grill base, and fat pan can go into the dishwasher. We like it for beef, pork, "thick fish" like salmon or halibut, and vegetables. The kids use it for sandwiches. It is great. Personally I think the chicken tastes funny - but my husband says I am nuts on that.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:42 PM   #18  
VancIslandGirl

Default Bacon on G F grill

Has anyone tried bacon on the grill ? For a "once in a while treat" I have cooked bacon on the grill . It was great and all that fat just dripping out was amazing.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:32 AM   #19  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I've done bacon on the grill and it turned out just fine. Yes, the fat dripping out is absolutely amazing. No matter how you cook it and drain it on paper towels, there is still too much fat in bacon that you fry!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:28 PM   #20  
Working My Way Back Down

I recently replaced my small GF grill with the family size - much better IMHO I do still prefer the outdoor grill, but when - like now - it's way below freezing and the deck is covered in snow, that's not an option! Plus my kitchen is so small I use my oven as a storage area for my frying pans and larger baking dishes, so to broil is a nuisance (as is baking, but that's a good thing! :lol) I use the GF mostly for chicken, but also have done burgers and veggies. To clean it, I unplug it then put very wet paper towels in and close the cover. After dinner I just wipe it out, first with the now damp paper towels, then a sponge to get the remainder. Cleans up very nicely. I stick the grease tray in the dishwasher.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:36 PM   #21  
it's always something

I do the wet paper towel trick, too, it works wonders! They recently came out with a new model that has removable plates that can be soaked in the sink if necessary. I think that's a great feature. I'd also love to see them put on/off buttons on all models, since most have to be unplugged. My outlets are not that easy to get to. I used to have one with a timer on it that turned it off automatically. I loved that feature.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:21 AM   #22  
singletrack chick

i never use mine. i got it as a wedding gift and it just sits under the cabinet. i love to cook, and i can't just put my food in the grill and leave it. it dried out my fish, and didnt cook my veggies exactly like i wanted them done. it didnt give me enough control. also, i feel that it is a pain to clean. so many people love them but it's just not for me.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:54 PM   #23  

My roommate had one for years and I used it occasionally, but when I moved into my own apartment I did not get one of my own.

Last year I bought a grill pan to use on the stove, which I love. It only cooks from one side at a time, so it is slower, but it has ridges which allow the fat to drain away from the meat and I have greater control over the temperature I am cooking at. I can also clean it very easily (and run it through the dishwasher).
Old 11-10-2004, 11:40 AM   #24  

I went camping this past weekend with the Cub Scouts. We had electric outlets so I brought my George Foreman grill. It made cooking so easy. I did hot dogs the first night while we were trying to set up the tent quickly before dark. For breakfast I cooked bacon for DH and my son and warmed up some ham for myself. For lunch we had grilled ham and cheese quesadillas and for dinner I put Taco Bake inside the tortillas, topped with some reduced fat cheese, folded the tortilla in half and toasted it. It was really good and so easy. We did use the cook stove to heat up the Taco Bake first but this was less mess.
Closed Thread