Fat Intake

• Hi there!! I have a small doubt hope someone can help me with this. I've been dieting for about 2,5 months now. I normally log into fitday.com and write all the foods I've eaten during that day. I'm trying to follow a low fat diet, but even eating healthy I've noticed that the chart says 1/3 or 1/4 of it is FAT.Is it normal? Is it only the fat every regular food has in it? I'm eating almost no fat how can this happen?I'm a bit confused! Thanks for your time,

kisses
    maat
  • Most nutritionists recommend getting no more than 30% of your calories from fat. That being said, you do need SOME fat in your diet (depending upon your height/weight/gender.... I use Fitday as well, and I always aim to eat between 30 and 60 grams of fat per day).

So if the amount of fat in your diet is 1/3 (33%), it's a little higher than it should be and if it is 1/4 (25%) than you are right on target. Hope that helps!
  • By the way, 1 gram of fat has approx 9 calories in it. So let's say you ate 45 grams of fat and 1800 calories that day.

45 X 9 = 405

405/1800 = .225

Therefore 22.5% of your calories came from fat.
  • I've never heard of this "fitday" but it sounds interesting. Thanks--I'll check it out.

As far as fat, I just don't know. I try not to eat any during the week, except for a little olive oil as this is suppose to be Heath fat. But I'm sure there is "fat leakage" into my diet. But I cannot imagine there is any fat in fruit and vegetables, and not much in beans--all of which comprise most of my diet. There is some in fish and other meats, but hey, what can you do?

In any case, I'd be much more concerned about overall calories. If what you're doing is working, why worry?