3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds

Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Produce is NOT expensive! Check this out...

Old 04-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #16
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadwell125
try checking "ethnic" markets for cheap produce. ....... the great thing about the korean market is that they also have exotic friuts and veggies that are really great in various dishes (not just korean). i especially love korean pears (but those are the most expensive fruit you can get there of course.. but top quality). i also highly recommend the soybean sprouts.. they still have the bean on them, and way more flavor than the alfalfa sprouts that are common in typical grocery stores.
You will get a lot more variety if you shop in the ethnic markets.. .As far as common Korean produce goes I love Korean pears, napa cabbage, puchu (a sort of chive), white sweet potatoes (YUM!).. I'm sure I could drool all day!
30 min of flex time: cardio or weight training or intensive functional exercise

I didn't lose weight. I burned up stored calories.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:41 AM   #17

Height: 5'8.5"

I am fortunate that we not only have produce markets but our best grocery store, Central Market, gets the very best produce and has prices that are often as good as the markets. Seattle area is known as having the highest grocery prices of just about anywhere BUT also having the best, freshest variety. Having lived and traveled other places I would agree with that. So I may have to pay a bit more than most places but we do have wonderful fresh stuff so it is worth it!

First major goal met 12/7/12. Next major goal ONEderland!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #18

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I buy hearts of romaine that are three to a package. Sometimes they're $3 but there is no waste. Because the are crisp and firm, they easily last a week. One makes a nice salad for me and DH if we have another vegetable for dinner. I can eat one a day if I have salad for lunch as well.
So singles ... that's six nice salads for 50 cents a peice ... almost a weeks worth.
Carrots, radishes, onions, cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli, apples, peaches, pears, plums, nectarines, bananas all last for a week as well.
Farmers wives keep eggs for a month before they boil them for devilled eggs because they peel nicer!

You'll be surprised how much you don't miss grain.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #19

BANANAS last a week? Ewwwww I only like them if they are nice and firm LOL. But yes there is a lot of stuff that does last, and I keep eggs that long too. And LOL I wish I liked romaine but can't stand the stuff! However, the packaged cabbage does last longer and also works great in salads. And I do buy lots of fresh produce; just have to be careful.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #20

I buy bananas in three stages, nearly green, almost perfect, and just right, two of each. You should see me digging around the bananas in the supermarket finding ones that meet the categories! That way they last a week!

I find our local farmers market fantastic. The vegetables are much cheaper than the local supermarket and can't be compared for taste. Our veggie man isn't organic, but the fact that they are local means a lot to me.

Only that's just once a month. So we've found a great organic box scheme, which is really cost effective. You get what they have, so we got some suprises today, like fennel and celeriac. I use our supermarkets too. I pick the supermarket on who has the best and cheapest fruit, since i have the veggie angle covered.

I spend a lot less on food now than I used to!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #21

LOL I dig around in the bananas too and pick several stages. But I only like them if they are very close to green. They LOOK terrible if you put them in the refrigerator (turn black) but the INSIDE stays nice and firm, so I do that sometimes! And I live close to a grocery... don't like it much but I can run in for "extras" during the week.

yah the farmer's markets are good... I always went there until this year but Central Market (my grocery) also gets local produce as much as they can and really helps keep the prices down. They are really giving other places some big competition around here! Since the markets are not very close to me, it saves me a lot of time if I can just get it there

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.