Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 03:25 PM   #1  

Question

I've been reading about the benefits of eating tofu and other soy products. Do any of you have a favorite recipe that uses one of these? I had a stir fry at a restaurant and it was only ok. I am looking for something really delicious. Thanks for any ideas.
Pogo
Old 03-08-2001, 05:47 PM   #2  

Pogo:
I'm not really a great fan of Tofu, but it can be used a lot of different ways. Because it has no real flavor of its own it takes on whaever spices or flavors you're adding.

I like to use it to mimick dips and salad dressing. It's easy to use Silken Tofu in the blender and start creating. ummm....let's see how about some mustard, lemon juice, garlic, italian spices, parsley - you can make dip or add some skim milk for dressing.

They sell these Tofu Mates mixes that you can try to make Scrambled Tofu eggs, or choclate tofu pudding.

I went to the bookstore and sat with a few Tofu cookbooks, and I'd scribble down a few recipes down I thought might be good. At leat until I could commit to actually purchasing one.

Try it - you may create something awesome!!!
Old 03-16-2001, 03:10 AM   #3  

Default tofu; Potatoe Salad

if my family can eat tofu without knowing they have eaten it, than I believe anyone can.
8oz tofu
2 c. cauliflower
1 c. diced celery
4 green onions
6 hard boiled eggs
3 T. mayo

Mix all ingredients together and enjoy.
Old 03-20-2001, 01:42 PM   #4  

Default Tofu

You don't have to use your own Tofu to gain the benefits of tofu.

Try tofu products that you can find at a health food store -
They have everything from soy milk (I love this - try Silk Soymilk)
to soy hot dogs, soy cheese, etc. They have
many varieties.
Old 03-20-2001, 02:46 PM   #5  

Default WG's Tofu Salad

I had this a few weeks ago at a friend's and have made it since then. It's really good! Can't even tell it's tofu! I did mess up and put in 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic from a jar but the garlic flavor was mild.
WG’s Tofu Salad

1 lb block tofu, Lite firm
3 T Green Onions, thinly sliced
¾ cup sunflower seeds, lightly toasted

Dressing:
¼ cup mellow white miso
1 T Tamari
2 T Lemon Juice
2 T Olive Oil
2 T Nutritional Yeast
1 t.sp. minced garlic
pepper to taste

Cut tofu into 4 slabs, wrap in paper towels and press out extra water; set aside. Combine dressing ingredients and whisk well. Crumble tofu into the dressing (suggest crumbling half and mashing half). Add rest of ingredients and mix well.

I also diced up a few carrots to give it some crunch. Chill in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavors bland. It's great in a pita with leaf lettuce and alfalfa sprouts! Also good with low-fat triscuits.

I don't know what the points are yet but it's very low and this makes a whole lot!
Old 03-20-2001, 08:01 PM   #6  

Default Tofu desserts

I noticed at Trader Joe's today that they had Tofu desserts. Kinda like ice cream, but non-dairy with tofu. The one I remember definitely is the ice cream sandwiches they had. They looked like normal ice cream sandwiches. I was too chicken to try and see what they tasted like!
Old 03-27-2001, 10:48 AM   #7  
cac

Have you tried baked tofu. It comes in different flavors, such as, Italian, Thi, barbecue, and sweet and sour. I use the baked tofu to make sandwiches.

cac
Old 03-28-2001, 09:59 PM   #8  

Default Still experimenting with soy

My original question was about tofu - and thanks for the answers and ideas. I'm working on them and will let you know if I find other recipes.

I went to trader Joe's and bought a few soy products. If the isoflavene count isn't listed on the label, is there a way to find this out? I'm trying vanilla milk (Silk) and chocolate covered soy nuts - I like these!

I'll have more questions, I'm sure. Talk to you all soon.

Pogo
Old 01-23-2004, 10:42 PM   #9  

I got the firm tofu and cut in into the size of french fries and baked them in the over put olive oil on the pan until golden brown and dipped in catsup first time we ate it and would try them again.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:43 PM   #10  

oh yes dont forget to wrap the cut up frys into a tea towel and let it drain some of the water out sorry about that.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:55 AM   #11  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

i loe tofu. makes really good stir fries, and my kids don't even know, if they did they would go eww without trying. i also just take firm tofu, cube and add tomato, cucumbers, lil herbs and eat for a salad.
i sub tofu in my lasagne, used to be all fatty meat based, now i do veggie based, sub tofu instead of riccotta and the kids, and dh eat it up..
Old 02-05-2004, 07:10 AM   #12  
it's always something

I tried tofu only once, in the 80s, and could never stomach it again. However, I probably didn't prepare it right, and should quit being such a tufu snob and try it again. There seem to be so many tofu fans here, and it is healthy...
Old 02-05-2004, 07:53 AM   #13  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

Talking

go for it Suzanne, go for it.. yummy tofu..
Closed Thread