Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 08:16 PM   #1  
Movin' to the Country!

Default Any Raw Fooders Here?

Just wondering if anyone here eats only raw food or at least strives for a mostly raw food day?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:31 PM   #2  

Seems like you'd be missing out on protein and dairy. Do you just eat fruit and vegetables?
Old 02-04-2004, 10:51 AM   #3  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

i have been adding more raw foods to diet would love to go all raw, but haven't taken the plunge yet.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #4  
Movin' to the Country!

Susan, dairy is not an essential for humans. In fact, humans are the only species that continue to drink milk after being weaned. All essentials for a healthy existence can be obtained through raw foods. Actually, from what I've read and heard, people who eat entirely raw rarely if ever get sick.

Heather, I am with you. I am currently just trying to increase the amount of raw foods in my diet. I was at 50% but am probably up to 60% or more now. I have a hubby and 2 little kids and don't think I could possibly get them totally raw but would love to try!!!
Old 02-06-2004, 04:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 130/130/121

Height: 5 ft.

i eat alot of raw fruits and veggies during the day. it really has gotten to the point that cooked veggies just taste funny to me. i dont think i could just do the raw only thing though. every friday night is spaggetti night!
Old 02-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #6  
Om shanti

I eat a lot of raw fruit and raw fish (sushi and sashimi). Veggies I prefer steamed or nuked, though put some hummus out and I'll be happy enough to eat raw carrots.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:29 PM   #7  

Angry easier said than done!

I'm a struggling raw foodist in Chicago. I keep bouncing back and forth between raw and regular eating. Sitting here at my computer googling around looking for other people who are switching to raw and trying to drop weight. I'm starting at 187 and hoping to make it down to 125-ish... time to try 100% raw. Wish me luck!
Old 02-25-2004, 10:10 PM   #8  
Movin' to the Country!

Plonk, have you ever checked out www.living-foods.com? I have found a lot of info and support there. I have already dropped 17 pounds on a predominantly raw diet. I am probably about 80% and am pretty happy with that. I started raw due to health problems and the weight loss has been an added benefit. Not that I wasn't also trying to lose weight!!! I visited Chicago last September. What a cool city!!! I live in Charleston, SC. Do you have any shops or restaurants that cater to raw eating there?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:30 PM   #9  

Thank you for the tip. I have been to the living foods website. They are great. In Chicago we have a place called Karyn's where they have a Raw food support group and prepared raw foods for sale, but the place is a little expensive, they use a LOT of vinegar and they seem overly focused on beauty there. They have a lot of health oriented services, like live cell analysis... but I wish there was a nice casual cafe style place to get raw food. There is a Charlie Trotter's here with a live food menu. There are some juice bars here and there at Whole Foods market and the Chicago Diner. You should check them out if you come back this way... but come back when it's warm!
Old 02-27-2004, 12:58 AM   #10  

I was just wondering how long it took for a change in diet to make an effect on how you feel every day? More energy? "Cleaner"?
I never even thought about this whole raw foods thing until I saw your posts and I went to the web site.
It seems like thy dehyrate a lot of stuff. Also - this might sound stupid - is tuna out of a can considered raw?
Just wondering.
KJO
Old 02-27-2004, 09:01 AM   #11  
Movin' to the Country!

KJO,
I began a raw foods diet because I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and was not willing to believe that there is "no cure." I came across an e-book by Harvey Diamond, author of Fit for Life, and he encouraged 50% raw in normal eating but also 100% raw for 1 week a month for 6 months. My first week 100% raw, I felt like crap for the first 3 days (detoxing). After that I have been a different person! I have not experienced any of the syptoms of FMS that had kept me in bed for almost 2 years. I have taken things farther than Harvey suggests and I am at about 80% raw all the time. As for dehydrating, it is one means of getting a "cooked" feeling without killing the enzymes necessary for digestion. Some raw fooders do not believe in dehydrating or freezing but I do both. I also only eat fruit until noon everyday. Try it for 1 week and you won't believe the extra energy you have. As for tuna, I don't think you will find many raw fooders that eat any kind of meat. We eat raw, living foods and obviously any meat product is very dead. However, if you enjoy meat, I would suggest you continue to eat it, just in smaller quantities while increasing the amount of fruits and veggies. I would encourage you to check out some books in your local library on the subject as it will help you to see health-wise why it is such a great choice to make. Hope this helps!!!
Closed Thread