Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 09:15 AM   #1  

Hi all,

I made butternut squash again tonight and it was such a treat on this cold and rainy Southern California night.

All I did was cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, put the cut side face up in a casserole dish, put a little water in the bottom of the dish, cover with foil and cook in the oven at 375 or so til it is fork tender - maybe 45 minutes to an hour.

It is Mmmm good and very satisfying. And one cup is only one point (I added a few squirts of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray). It's so sweet it almost feels like dessert.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on those points, but I think butternut squash is considered a winter squash.

Try it, I bet you'll like it.
Diane
Old 02-20-2001, 02:09 PM   #2  

Butternut squash is a winter squash. 1 cup = 1 pt. I like to peel it and slice it and remove the seeds. I then cook it like potato in water and when done drain it, mash like potato with some butter buds and brown sugar. In fact we had some for supper from the freezer. Butternut squash makes wonderful soup also. Buy the ones with the longest neck you can find. They will be the most firm and not mealy.

------------------

Ann P

[This message has been edited by lighter (edited 02-20-2001).]
Closed Thread