Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 03:57 PM   #1  

Default Please Help ASAP

I feel just awful
This is only my second day of dieting and i think its over.
For breakfest thsi morning i had sum water and a sandwhich
1 teaspon mayo and 1 piece of meat(turkey ham) and one
piece of cheese.Keep in mind I only eat half. During lunch
at school i eat a apple and drink 4ounces of apple juice.
When i came home thats when it happened. There on the table
was sum great looking chinise food. I resisted and with some
very conviencing "this wont hurt you, its vegatables" from my mom
I ate around a ahlf a container of it. I realise is veges but it was
covered in gravy. Are my dieting dreams over or can I bounce back
by doing twice as much exercise?

BTW Im 5'9 285 pounds and Im on a 1500 or less cal. diet.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:33 PM   #2  

It's never over...drink alot of water to flush it through, all the salt/sodium in Chinese food will probably make you feel bloated for awhile. Just make good choices to counter act that Chinese stuff and start over-at least it had veggies in it-I usually go for the chocolate...
Old 01-20-2004, 04:40 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well, I would say right off the bat that you're not eating enough during the day, not eating the right foods, and when you get home from school you're starving and ready to eat the skin off a cat. And doing 'twice as much exercise' isn't going to help.

I don't know what 'sort' of diet you're on...but you need a bit more protein. Get away from the processed foods and eat stuff that will keep you full and satisfied. You're putting your body into 'starvation mode' by eating so little, which means your body will hold onto fat and burn muscle and lean tissue, thinking that it's famine time...

I'd also suggest keeping a food journal and planning your meals ahead, if at all possible. Also a great idea: instead of three big meals, divide your calories into five or six smaller meals and eat every 2-3 hours. I note that you said you're still in school, and I know it can be difficult eating in those situations; however, that can easily be solved by planning ahead and bringing something that can be eaten with little effort or preparation. And fill up on veggies - NOT the Chinese restaurant kind (unless you can find a restaurant who will prepare them without oily, sugary, or salty sauces!) or fried veggies, but fresh, raw (if possible) veggies.

Right off the top of my head - here's an example of a day's meals...each one has protein and a healthy carb source...

Breakfast: Oatmeal or whole-grain cereal, hardboiled or scrambled egg (1 egg + 3 whites)

Mid-morning: Apple and string cheese

Lunch: Turkey or chicken sandwich on whole-grain bread or pita, with lots of veggies

Mid-Afternoon: Banana and cottage cheese

Dinner: Lean protein (chicken, fish or lean meat - tofu if you're a vegetarian), brown rice or baked potato, steamed veggies.

OH and make sure you drink a lot of water!!

A couple books you might want to check out for more info: Body for Life by Bill Phillips and The Ultimate Weight Solution for Teens by Jay McGraw. Both have great information laid out in a very simple, easy-to-follow format.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 PM   #4  

I think that you can eat a lunch of more than an apple and juice and not be so hungry later and still lose weight.
I love large healthy meals. I would pass out from an apple and juice for lunch. By 3pm I would have to leave work and find a fast food joint.
I am one weight watchers and had a 6 point lunch. Two eight gram of fiber tortillas, left over white chili, cooked carrots, jicima, wow chips. The fiber in the beans and the tortillas make me less hungry in the afternoon and evening.
Keep on track and do not get discouraged by one meal of Chinese food.
By the way, I eat Chinese all the time- but I figure out what I want before I leave the house and that helps. 1 serving of mushroom chicken at Panda Express is 3 points. That is one of the lowest I have seen besides beef with broccoli at 3 points. They must be low in calories and high in fiber to be so low in points.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:27 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed2110
I feel just awful
This is only my second day of dieting and i think its over.
For breakfest thsi morning i had sum water and a sandwhich
1 teaspon mayo and 1 piece of meat(turkey ham) and one
piece of cheese.Keep in mind I only eat half. During lunch
at school i eat a apple and drink 4ounces of apple juice.
When i came home thats when it happened. There on the table
was sum great looking chinise food. I resisted and with some
very conviencing "this wont hurt you, its vegatables" from my mom
I ate around a ahlf a container of it. I realise is veges but it was
covered in gravy. Are my dieting dreams over or can I bounce back
by doing twice as much exercise?

BTW Im 5'9 285 pounds and Im on a 1500 or less cal. diet.
Hi CodeRed. It's not over until you give up. Do not give up. Get right back on that horse and ride this thing out. YOU CAN DO IT.

First thing is first. You have got to stop eating like a bird. No offense but your breakfast didn't sound very good nor did your lunch. This is what is going to cause you to fail because you come home dying because you hardly ate anything all day and you are going to give in and binge. You have to take time to think what you are doing and how you are doing it. I used to do the same exact thing back in my college days.

You can get up and eat some Special K Cereal, a slice of toast (use Low Calorie Wonder Bread), and use 2% or 1% milk. Drink a bottled water and/or a small glass of calcium fortified orange juice.

For your lunch you can have something like Healthy Choice Turkey breast, one slice of fat free or low cal American cheese, with lettuce and tomato. Use the low calorie Wonder bread again. It's only 80 calories for 2 slices. Have some carrot sticks with a fat free dressing, and a bottled water. If you don't like that try Campbell's Soup At Hand. The cream of chicken is only 170 calories! It tastes sooooooooo good. I had it today as a matter of fact.

For dinner you can have Chinese but ask for Brown rice (a lot of Chinese resturants have it and will give it if asked) and make your portions smaller. Or you could skip the rice altogether and have beef and broccoli. You also could have grilled salmon, a large garden salad with oil, vinegar, and lemon for dressing, steamed broccoli with butter for a dinner meal.

Don't do things right from the start to undermine yourself. Loosing weight is not about starving yourself. It is possible to eat 3 decent meals a day and lose weight.

Also don't go exercise crazy. Don't think oh I can just gobble up anything and just exercise 2 times as much. Why ? because it never works. People that say that are just lying to themselves most of the time. Because you get discouraged from having to double up not to mention because you feel hungry and then you don't feel like jogging, or getting on a treadmill or bike and you definitely are not going to do extra.

So don't even start out lying to yourself. With the right technique, some meal planning, and proper daily exercise you can loose. There are also programs like Atkins, Somersize, and Weight Watchers that works for tons of people. You might want to look into some of them.

Use this little set back to your advantage. You fell off the horse momentarily now you know what not to do again to fall off. And if you fall off again, get right back up immediately. Don't look back!

Another tip is to make your family fully aware of the fact that you are trying to loose and in a nice way tell them to please not undermine it by offering you foods that would hinder your weight loss. In the end though, the person that is looking back at you in the mirror is you. Make sure that YOU do what is neccessary to lose weight because you can have all the support in the world but if you don't resign yourself to do the work it just won't get done. No one can lose weight for you.

Stay strong! You can do it!

Missy777
Old 02-05-2004, 08:01 AM   #6  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

IT"S NEVER OVER!!! Keep trying...when i first started eating healthy ( not diet, just healthy eating) i thought i was eating too much food, but the weight keeps coming off, slow but steady. and i am doing a lot better on my overeating, because i am always full from the good stuff..
Old 03-01-2004, 04:39 PM   #7  

CodeRed2110.....I am by no means an expert. I have quite a bit of weight to lose myself. I am 5'9", started 2/01/04 at 217 pounds, I am at 209, today March 1st. I want to weigh 140. I decided in January that I had had it. I have stumbled so many times starting out, just as you have and ya know what ...."So What". Get back on the horse. What happened is over. It doesn't hurt to work out a bit more. Here are some things that I have learned in my first month:

1) You MUST eat more than three times a day......if you don't, - well you already know the result...you pig out.

2) I had been "working out" at a gym for a year. I had no idea what working out was until I got a personal trainer....I am not saying that this is what you need to do, but if you aren't sweating and pushing yourself, the workout you are getting is for your heart. If you are sweating, you are probably burning quite a few calories. There is a flip side....if you don't want to sweat, but still want the fat reducing results, it is going to take you a long period of exercise each day....an hour and a half of a brisk walk could do it. (By the way - I agree with missy 777 - don't excercise more to eat more, excercise more to weigh less (not that you are doing that - I just think it's a wise comment)).

3) Strength training is critical for building muscle mass. I gained (yup gained weight) through Valentines day and then all the sudden "Bam" it started coming off. The muscle mass speeds up the metabolism so you are burning more calories throughout your day, naturally.

4) EVERYONE has bad days.......but it doesn't matter......as long as tomorrow, we try again.

5) I thought I was counting calories for months before I started this program (my own calorie counting program) in my head)...turns out that I was consuming WAY more than I thought, when I actually wrote down every little thing.

6) One last thing I realized. I used to look at all of these gals with their gorgeous bodies and think one of a few things - 1) they are on drugs and don't eat, or 2) they don't eat, or 3) they are just naturally that way....turns out...most of them are at the gym working their butts off, sweating for a good hour. I give them a lot more credit than I used to.

I also think it helped to get my arms around the fact that it is going to take about a year or more to reach my goal. That takes the pressure off screwing up one day here and there...and puts the pressure on my long run success.

I also told people I would not normally tell to really make myself accountable.

All my best to you. This is hard work, no doubt about it, but the payoff is big.

AZKitty

Last edited by AZKitty; 03-01-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #8  

Great advice, AZKitty. I couldn't agree more. Good luck to you.
Closed Thread