Protein Shakes??

• I unfortunatly do not get enough protein in my diet. When I use my fit day, I find that I am eating more carbs and fat, than I am protein. The only reason why I had more protein today, was because I ate tuna fish.

My brother is a body builder, and he has been drinking protein shakes. My father, who also needs more protein in his diet, has started using the shakes.

He says they taste pretty good, sometimes he adds fruit in them, ect... and he also says that the shakes really fill him up.

I was just wondering if anyone else uses, or has used protein shakes, and if so, did you like them enough to keep using them??

I've been considering this, because I find that I fill myself up with carbs and fats that I don't necessarily need. I was thinking that if I started the protein shakes, it would help curb my appetite, and I wouldn't eat so much of the carbs.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    ~ Kari ~
  • Kari

Check with the ladies on Weight Loss Surgury. They drink protein shakes and they may have some good advice. Jiffy-pop has all kinds of good ideas and has tried a lot of them

Chris
  • Re: Protein Shakes??
    Quote:
    Originally posted by kari_berry
    My brother is a body builder, and he has been drinking protein shakes. My father, who also needs more protein in his diet, has started using the shakes. He says they taste pretty good, sometimes he adds fruit in them, ect... and he also says that the shakes really fill him up. I was just wondering if anyone else uses, or has used protein shakes, and if so, did you like them enough to keep using them??
    Definitely. Of course, everyone's personal taste is differeent, so sometimes it takes a while to find the protein shake you like best, and very often there are folks who don't like the taste of your favorite, and folks who's favorite protein shakes taste horrible to you. Get 10 people in a room and you'll have 11 opinions! <grin>

Our favorite is Myoplex Lite Cappuccino Ice. I have at least one a day, typically for breakfast, using hot water and 1-2T of fat-free sugar-free chocolate pudding mix. I can't imagine anything better than having a wonderful, filling Cafe Mocha each morning. I've been doing so for well over two years, and haven't found anything I'd rather have for breakfast. It runs about 230 calories, with the pudding mix, and holds me to lunch everyday (though one day out of five I'll throw in a fruit mid-morning, just to get more fruit -- not because I get hungry -- I simply don't).
    Quote:
    I've been considering this, because I find that I fill myself up with carbs and fats that I don't necessarily need. I was thinking that if I started the protein shakes, it would help curb my appetite, and I wouldn't eat so much of the carbs.
    Meal replacements have been proven to be an effective strategic tool for weight-loss and weight-loss maintenance. My main advice is to watch out for imitators, like Slim-Fast, which has three times more sugar than protein.
  • Thank you both for your replies

Bicker - thanks for the suggestion. I will definatly have to try out some different shakes to see which one I prefer. The one you mentioned does sound awesome!

My dad bought some of the strawberry protein shake, and he adds in fresh strawberries (when available) or frozen strawberries. He says he really likes it.

I will NEVER drink the Slim Fast. When I was desperate once for a *quick fix* I did slim fast and even though I had one for breakfast, and one for lunch, I was still SOOOO hungry through out the day! It NEVER filled me up. Plus, I literally had to force it down because of the taste. So I wasn't happy with it and got rid of it. And yes, you are right, waaay too much sugar.

Thanks again!

~ Kari ~
  • You can make your own at home using silken tofu too. Yogurt is high in protein as well. You could try experimenting making your own that way.
  • i've tried shakes with silken tofu. tastes great, but note of the fat /carb content if u limit those in your diet.

i use protein powder almost daily, but i'm lazy so instead of a taking out the blender, i normally mix it with plain fat free yogurt to make a pudding. this adds a small amount of carbs with no fat. it also makes cottage cheese taste alot better, that would be almost 100% protein (protein content will be different depending on brand). i heard it tastes great on oatmeal but i haven't tried it yet.