Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-22-2016, 02:38 AM   #1  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Default Frozen Cauliflower Rice at Trader Joes

SCORE!

I've been reading Munchy's comments on making and using cauliflower rice and it's had me curious. Hubby and I both don't really care for cauliflower that much. We'll eat it raw but that's about it. Still though the idea of a healthy rice sub has me hooked.

I was wandering thru Trader Joes tonite and heard a clerk direct a shopper to the frozen Cauliflower rice. I followed her and grabbed a bag!

Since I rarely buy cauliflower I don't know if the price was good or not - it was (I think) $1.99 for a 12 oz bag. I consider this the lazy woman's way to test something that sounds interesting. Minimal labor and investment for the test drive. If I love it, I'll make it from now on gladly. And if we hate it, it goes back to TJs for a refund!
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Yay! Try it as fried rice first!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #3  
I Can Do This

Ohhhh - great suggestion! I think I saw a recipe the other day that looked good.

I'm also thinking of trying it as the rice in a stuffed bell pepper soup that we love. It's raining today so it's soupy kind of weather
Old 01-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #4  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Vickie, that is why I tried it, its the best and so less time consuming .... Huge thumbs up!!

Munchy that's exactly what I used it for

Walmart has the Green Giant steam-able Crumbles that I used to make mock potato salad.

Last edited by love2b150; 01-25-2016 at 05:35 PM.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #5  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I love cauliflower and want to try this so much but my TJ's has been out of it every time I've stopped by! This madness must stop.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #6  
I Can Do This

Tai, maybe check the customer service desk and see when they have deliveries scheduled? I have pretty good luck with my Trader Joes in that regard. They don't just off-handedly tell you they get shipments every day. They'll take the time to look up the specific item and know whether or not it's coming in.

I'll say this was a winner for me. I actually preferred it over the rice we normally use in the soup. It had a lot more crunch and not a strong cauliflower taste. The only downside to me was when cooking it before hand there was definitely the aroma of cooking cauliflower. It's a smell I'm not overly fond of.

I think my next experiment with it will be red beans and rice. My husband makes a killer red beans and rice but we don't do it that often because of the rice. I suspect we'll probably continue to eat rice occasionally as a small side but the cauli-rice is a definite win for adding to a soup.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #7  
~Rennie

Vickie, keep us posted on the red beans and cauli-rice. I'd love to know before hand what you thought. Also I do agree with you on the smell. My son came in from work and said what's that smell
Old 01-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #8  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Chickie View Post
Tai, maybe check the customer service desk and see when they have deliveries scheduled? I have pretty good luck with my Trader Joes in that regard. They don't just off-handedly tell you they get shipments every day. They'll take the time to look up the specific item and know whether or not it's coming in.

I'll say this was a winner for me. I actually preferred it over the rice we normally use in the soup. It had a lot more crunch and not a strong cauliflower taste. The only downside to me was when cooking it before hand there was definitely the aroma of cooking cauliflower. It's a smell I'm not overly fond of.

I think my next experiment with it will be red beans and rice. My husband makes a killer red beans and rice but we don't do it that often because of the rice. I suspect we'll probably continue to eat rice occasionally as a small side but the cauli-rice is a definite win for adding to a soup.

Thank you so much for this suggestion Vickie! I will definitely ask on my next trip.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #9  
I Can Do This

Lovetobe150 - as of right now, it's on the menu for Thursday. I'll keep you posted.

I totally understand your son's reaction to the smell. Not pleasant I tell ya!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #10  
~Rennie

Thanks Vickie, looking forward to it
Old 02-01-2016, 01:25 AM   #11  
I Can Do This

So the verdict is in and it's equally good as rice in the red beans and rice. Again, actually even better IMO. I really like the texture better in soup kind of dishes. There's a bit more body to the cauli-rice than regular rice.

The downside here is that Red Beans and Rice is still gonna be a rare meal. It's an absolute sodium BOMB and fairly carby as well because of the beans. We do use a fairly low-cal chicken sausage from Trader Joes but it's still high in sodium as are the spices he uses. Ahhhh well, it was still delish!

I think my next experiment with the cauli-rice will be stuffed bell peppers.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #12  
~Rennie

Thanks Vickie, I may just give it a try. I steer clear of rice as much as possible. As far as the sodium goes I'm gonna take into account the fiber that I really need I have only had stuffed peppers once as a kid and I hated them (I also hated green peppers but now eat them). I wonder if I'd like stuffed peppers now?

You should post your recipes for both, please and thank you

Last edited by love2b150; 02-03-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Hi! I tried the Green Giant cauliflower crumbles today, and I didn't realize how quickly they cook in comparison to whole cut up cauliflower! I started out with a whole pan, and ended up with one little crispy bowl full (I like to roast mine with a little sea salt, pepper, paprika, and olive oil. I'll have to keep in mind a much shorter cooking time next time I make this.

Last edited by guacamole; 02-03-2016 at 04:06 PM.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 11½"

Wow! You lot over the pond certainly have a better variety of food than us Brits! I just heard about minced up cauliflower to put into the microwave and make "rice",_the other day on the TV. I have to do my grocery shopping online so decided to get a bag of frozen cauliflower (I live on my own). Any ideas how I could turn frozen cauliflower into cauliflower rice?
Jan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #15  
~Rennie

guacamole, I bought two bags the first I over cooked and ended up putting it in a soup. The second was perfect for my salad

Jan I would probably google that. But I would try - defrost it, rice it and steam for a very small amount of time, just my thoughts though