Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #16  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I love cauliflower, and make it every week...I look forward to fine tuning my cooking skills for the crumbles.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I made "fried rice" for dinner and it was delicious!

Cauliflower is about $5 per head right now so this is super convenient and saving me quite a bit of money!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #18  

Height: 5' 11½"

Thanks for that. I don't think I thought this through!!! Lol I don't have a ricer gadget.

BTW....is there some kind of alert on here, if someone has replied to me? I had to come on and specifically look at my cauliflower posting before I saw your reply. Happened yesterday too, with another reply.
Thanks ☺
Jan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #19  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Jan, check out post #9 by Munchy in this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food...ml#post5221057

I don't think you use a ricer. Just run it thru a food processor until the crumbles are approximately rice size. I will say though that the crumbles in the frozen bag I purchased are about twice the size of a grain of rice. I suspect running thru a ricer might make it too fine or mushy. One of the things that I've liked about it is that is maintains some crunch!
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #20  
I Can Do This

love2b150, I'll look up the list of things that go in hubby's red beans and rice and post them tomorrow.

For the Stuffed Bell Peppers, honestly I just sort of wing it depending on my mood! I start by cutting the tops off the peppers and slightly par-boiling them. Then it's about 1 lb browned crumbled ground turkey, about 8 oz tomato sauce and whatever spices grab me at the time. Sometimes it's onion, parsley and garlic. Occasionally I'll throw in some italian seasoning. You can add hotter spices as well if you like that flavor profile. Then mix in your rice (or cauliflower rice!) and stuff in the peppers. It can be cooked until completed in the oven or a slow cooker.

Re: the peppers, I do like green ones but love red, yellow and orange. They're much sweeter! You might prefer the taste of the other colors more.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #21  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Oh Vickie, I think the pepper recipe is a keeper, yumm Thanks

Jan click on thread tools top right under the page numbers and click subscribe to thread and I think I've heard of people using a grater, I just broke mine up by hand
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:17 AM   #22  
I Can Do This

Red Beans and Rice

3 cups dry small red beans
1/4 to 1/5 cup cider vinegar
3 T servings Franks Red Hot sauce
2 small bell peppers roughly chopped
4-6 links Trader joe's Chicken Sausage* (spicy italian is good! so is Sun Dried Tomato chicken sausage) sliced into approx 1/2 pieces
1 cup great value no salt added tomato sauce (small can)
1 can (14 oz) kirkland organic diced tomatoes
1 T better than bouillon beef base (optional but it adds to the taste)
1 t Tony Chachere's creole seasoning

Cook beans in approx 6-8 cups water in pressure cooker or slow cooker until approx 3/4 done. Add all items listed above. Depending on your taste preferences you can use more or less of each item or add in chile powder, tomato paste, etc. We like it with a vinegary and spicy bite. After each addition of seasoning, it may take 10-15 minutes cooking until the spices meld and you really get the true flavor. Cook until beans are done and serve over cauli-rice.

Because of the sodium in the Franks, sausage and Better than Bullion Beef base, this is a sodium bomb. The recipe as shown makes approx 10 cups @ 154 cal/cup.

*The sausage in the plastic wrapper has fewer calories than the one in the wrapped tray.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #23  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Vickie this sounds so good ... I wish I had everything in here to make it now thanks for the recipe
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #24  
I Can Do This

You're very welcome! Enjoy. You may want to go half way with the spices and vinegar listed and add things as you progress. The tomato paste is good for helping to add a little sweetness. Sometimes it can get almost a little too hot for me. The husband sometimes gets a little heavy handed with the creole seasoning and chilie powder. He's been known to throw in red chile flakes as well.

Im betting everyone has recipes like this - they never turn out the same way twice in a row!

The soup that I did first to test the cauli-rice was this one: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/s...pper-soup.html
I always sub lean ground turkey for the beef. This is one of my favorite soups and I loved the cauli-rice in it.

Last edited by Vickie Chickie; 02-06-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #25  

Height: 5' 11½"

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
Hi! I tried the Green Giant cauliflower crumbles today, and I didn't realize how quickly they cook in comparison to whole cut up cauliflower! I started out with a whole pan, and ended up with one little crispy bowl full (I like to roast mine with a little sea salt, pepper, paprika, and olive oil. I'll have to keep in mind a much shorter cooking time next time I make this.
Hi
Could you tell me the oven temp and how long you roast the cauliflower rice for?
Thanks
Jan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #26  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Sorry, I just saw this now!

I ended up steaming the Green Giant cauliflower crumbles in the bag they come in according to directions - it's only like 5-10 minutes. I never mastered roasting the rice, but probably 10 minutes at 400 degrees would work. I left mine in the oven way too long that first time, and never tried the roasting method again. Sometimes if the rice gets too mushy in the microwave I mash it up with garlic powder, pepper, paprika, and a bit of salt for "mashed potatoes."

Every week I roast fresh heads of cauliflower cut into florets for about 60-90 minutes for 1 large head or 2 smaller heads. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, paprika, and drizzle with a bit of olive oil and mix. The first 25 minutes I roast in a 400 degree oven uncovered, and the remainder of the roasting time I cover the pan with foil and poke steam holes in the foil with a fork. After about an hour I check for tenderness, and if it is soft, I take it out of the oven to cool a bit.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by guacamole; 06-21-2016 at 10:27 PM.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/145/130

Height: 4'11

I made cauliflower crust pizza for dinner tonight! It was really REALLY good!
Meli35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:20 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I bought a bag of the Trader Joe's riced caulifower recently, and tried it as a base for spooning a curry over. It was a great low cal/carb substitute! I will probably try it with other sauce dishes and stir fries. My husband doesn't like cauliflower much and doesn't need to be careful with carbs so convenience is important for me to be able to have some pre-made riced cauliflower while my husband has brown rice.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #29  

I just discovered these and feel like I hit the dieting jackpot! Before, I was making my own with a food processor and it was a pain in the butt to clean up afterwards.
TheTammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 202/160/150

Height: 5'2"

Try it lightly fried up with coconut oil and with a little garam masala and salt- totally yummy
Nightowlrn is offline   Reply With Quote