Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default What to do with plain yogurt

I bought a container of plain greek yogurt to use for a recipe and I have a lot left over... what can I do with it? I'm not a fan of eating it plain as it has that sourish tangy taste. I was thinking of adding some frozen berries but they're also quite tart and I don't want to add too much (or any) sugar.

So... what can I do with this stuff?
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #2  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I use it in my fruit and veggie smoothies. It's also a replacement for sour cream in pretty much any situation. Last night I used it on tacos. The other day, I stirred some into chicken that I had cooked in salsa and broth. I use it on baked potatoes. I use it in curries. With lemon, ginger and spices for a chicken tandoori marinade. Etc, etc, etc...

The yogurt plus berries and a teaspoon of honey would make for a nice breakfast, maybe topped with granola.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #3  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Maybe I'll have to look up so,e smoothie recipes. I've always wanted to try make them. Some really good ideas there. Sounds so good with the honey and granola. Mmmm
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #4  

Definitely smoothies. Add some frozen fruit and honey and then you won't need to add any sugar/sweetener.
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 193.8/188.6/160

Plain yogurt makes a great coating for healthy oven fried chicken! Here is the recipe;

Healthy Oven Fried Chicken
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2-3 lb fryer cut into serving pieces, skin removed
1C plain non-fat yogurt
1/2 to 1 cup of your favorite whole grain cereal, crushed
2 tsp. salt (I use only 1)
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine cereal, salt, paprika & pepper, set aside. Coat ckicken by brushing on yogurt. Coat in cereal mixture. Bake at 350 degrees on a pan sprayed with butter spray for 20-25 minutes. Turn over and bake another 20-25 minutes.

*Oven times may vary. My oven runs hot.
*Variations: Add 1/4 tsp. garlic powder & 1/2 tsp. crushed tarragon to coating mix.

NOTE: If you don't like the tangy taste of plain yogurt add some agave sweetener to it (or other sweetener of your choice).

I use sugar free Torani coffee syrups and I sometimes toss a splash of vanilla or other flavor syrup in my plain yogurt to change it up.

Last edited by seachick; 02-07-2015 at 11:26 PM.
seachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'5.5"

Chocolate cheesecake pudding:
Follow directions on fat free sugar free chocolate pudding mix, except substitute 1/2 the milk for plain Greek yogurt - you'll get chocolate cheesecake pudding with more protein than regular chocolate pudding.
FitFatForty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #7  

i always eat 1/2 carton of plain Greek yogurt but i sweeten it with stevia (yea i know most people don't like it but if you get a good brand, it's fine, imo) lots of blueberries, almond butter and 1/2 pkg of sugar free pudding mix, lemon has been awesome but i also use vanilla, pistachio, etc.
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #8  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

I eat plain Greek yogurt nearly every day (the store I go to stopped carrying skyr - it's horrible!) for breakfast. I like to add some combination of the following:

-maple syrup
-fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries)
-banana (helps counter the sour taste)
-granola cereal
-almonds

It's also good for making a curry or really any other creamy sauce. If you got the fat free kind be careful with the temperatures so it doesn't separate.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #9  

I eat plain yogurt twice a week with fruits
WilliamLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 224/174/160

Height: 5'8"

I have greek yogurt at least 3x a week for breakfast. I usually put half a tablespoon of honey (only 30 cal) per 3/4 cup of greek yogurt. If I have fresh fruit, I'll toss those in as well. Sometimes I'll add chia seeds or a little bit of granola for some texture.

Also, like a few others mentioned, it works as a great replacement for cream or sour cream. I love to use it when cooking Indian, or creating healthy veggie dips.
mariam892 is offline   Reply With Quote