Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

Default What are your "feel amazing" foods?

Hi everyone!

I've been thinking lately that I have certain meals/foods that I go back to that always make me feel great. What are your best no-fail foods that you eat that make you feel amazing? For me that means eating and not feeling heavy or bloated but at the same time, satisfied.

Here are mine:

Drinks:
- Pukka Harmonise, Ginger & Lemon and Chamomile and vanilla herbal teas
- Oolong tea
- Plain almond milk

Breakfast
- Porridge with hemp seeds, cocoa nibs, shredded unsweetened coconut and a teaspoon of honey
- Toast with avocado and sea salt
- Banana and plain greek yogurt with honey

Meals
- Salad with toasted whole wheat pita, strawberries, carrots, cucumbers and lemon and olive oil dressing
- Fattoush salad
- Brown rice with tofu and sauteed vegetables
- Curry chickpea soup
- Grilled white fish (sea bass, my favourite!) with homemade salsa
- Vegetable sandwich: hummus, tomatoes, cucumbers, sprouts, cheese, tofu
- tofu "stew": grilled veggies and tofu with canned tomatoes and lentils

Snacks
- unsweetened dried fruits: apricots, figs, apples, pears, cranberries
- berries, apples and pears
- carrots, cucumbers and hummus

If I think of more, I'll edit
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #2  
maintaining since 9/2013

Great thread!

A great big salad with red leaf lettuce, baby arugula, julienned carrots & raw beets, cucumber, red onion, avocado, maybe tomato, HB egg, tofu. Some WF italian vinaigrette dressing with a little EVOO or olives. (not because it's diet friendly--I just love it!). Sometime I sprinkle Braggs nutritional yeast on top.

Last edited by mars735; 09-21-2014 at 03:10 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

Thanks!

I've never tried nutritional yeast! Does it do something specific for you?
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 130/130/120

Height: 5'5.5"

A healthy chocolate smoothie made with nondairy milk, frozen bananas, coconut sugar, raw cacao powder, coconut oil, almond butter, and protein powder. Gotta have that chocolate!

I also love baked tofu marinated in soy sauce It's filling and delicious! Baked sweet potatoes are my favorite source of healthy carbs.
chmia14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #5  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by muguet View Post
Thanks!

I've never tried nutritional yeast! Does it do something specific for you?
I bought it because years ago I used to take a certain brand of Brewer's Yeast that lent a pleasant, vitaminy flavor to grapefruit juice. And I noticed a subtle glow to my skin and eyes--I just looked and felt healthy. Most brands were unpalatable.

Then I tried this one, Bragg's, which has a reputation for clean, organic products. It's not hugely flavorful and in fact it's probably the egg yolk that really makes the salad pop for me, lol. Nutritional yeast has B vits in food form, (I'm not a big believer in pill form of micro nutrients doing any good). So I get a little extra 'feel good' from my salad.

I'll also add that I use a specific brand of tofu; HodoSoy. It's local, nonGMO, organic. But mostly it's very dense, loaded with much more protein than other super firm brands. In my salad, it looks like feta and somehow that fools my brain that there's even more richness (I have an issue with casein so avoid real cheese).

Another thing that might help depending on your WOE...I like to use the whole avocado...it's something I can't ignore if any is left over, so I buy small ones.

Last edited by mars735; 09-21-2014 at 05:13 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote