Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #1  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Default Cumin spice

I have a huge variety of spices but have never bought cumin or tasted it as a singular spice. Reading online it has been described as the smell you get from taco seasoning. I have seen it used with roasted veggies. But I wouldn't want my roasted veggies to taste like taco seasoning. Any thoughts? TIA
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

It's an acquired taste. Some people like it, some not.

I often research health benefits of spices/herbs etc. and add them to what I eat if I like the taste of them and the health benefits are high. I have not researched cumin but I do eat a lot of ceylon cinammon and cayenne pepper. I find both tasty and they appear to be good for me. I also eat a lot of garlic which I find yummy.

So if you like the taste, and it's good for you then go for it. But if you don't like the taste then..well...

Last edited by IanG; 09-16-2014 at 09:46 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Cumin can be used in many different ways. It is a prominent spice in taco seasoning, but on roasted veggies I imagine it would be divine, especially with rosemary. Your roasted veggies won't taste like taco seasoning, I promise. It's a very earthy spice, in the way that cinnamon and nutmeg are earthy, and warm, if that makes sense? I would encourage you to go to a store where you can smell it (somewhere that sells spices in bulk). Kind of hard to describe. It's also prominent in Indian cuisine and is in garam masala, if you're familiar with that spice mix.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #4  
Trying to live below 200

Thank you for your replies.

Ian I think we are very similar with our thought processes on herbs/spices. I also use a full serving of Ceylon Cinnamon every day on my English muffin at breakfast. I have heard that it is very healthy. I don't overindulge in garlic due to the thyroid situation that I have. I also use a full serving of Turmeric in my morning omelet. Again, very healthy and great for inflammation. This was a bit of an acquired taste and a bit of a transition. Originally I put the turmeric in my veggies for my omelet but didn't like that. I do like it in the egg mixture for the omelet. Cayenne is a bit much for me but I give the black pepper heck, though.

nonameslob I love rosemary! The brand of spices/herbs I use sells very small containers of spices along with the larger sizes. I am going to give it a try!

Last edited by Diana3271; 09-16-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
Cumin can be used in many different ways. It is a prominent spice in taco seasoning, but on roasted veggies I imagine it would be divine, especially with rosemary. Your roasted veggies won't taste like taco seasoning, I promise. It's a very earthy spice, in the way that cinnamon and nutmeg are earthy, and warm, if that makes sense? I would encourage you to go to a store where you can smell it (somewhere that sells spices in bulk). Kind of hard to describe. It's also prominent in Indian cuisine and is in garam masala, if you're familiar with that spice mix.
Definitely warm and earthy! That's the perfect description. I use it in all of my "tex-mex" dishes, but also in a lot of meat marinades. It would be great on roasted veggies.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Cumin is wonderful, one of my favorite spices. It is used in middle eastern cuisine, mexican cuisine, and Indian cuisines the most.

It goes very well with coriander. Try this - in a dry saucepan place almonds, cumin and corriander seeds and toast lightly until you can smell all the spices. Then grind up in a FP or a mortar/pestle. Then toss with cauliflower florets, olive oil, a little lemon juice and some red pepper flakes. Roast until the cauliflower starts to get golden and serve.

It's also wonderful in black bean soup, I put lots of it.

To get the full effect rub it on a chicken breast and grill. It takes some getting used to but that's true of anything you're not used to eating.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:24 AM   #7  

Diana, Cumin is one of my favorite spices. It IS an important spice in taco mix and chili. It also is an important spice in Indian cooking, curry and such. Also in many middle eastern countries' cooking.

Most people recommend toasting the spice before using. So the oils are brought out. A big flavor boost.

One thing I always do with spices is I buy them wherever they are sold bulk. That way they tend to be fresher. Rather than sitting around in bottles on a grocery store shelf. I do transfer them to bottles when I get them home. So they will stay fresher on my shelf. Hope some of what I wrote helps.

If you ever make a squash soup or anything like that, you could try adding a bit of cumin and cinnamon to a little portion of it. See if you like it. I could go on and on. But I will spare you

Last edited by flower123; 10-17-2014 at 02:29 AM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #8  
Trying to live below 200

I haven't tried the cumin, yet. I probably should have tried it with the roasted squash I had been making. I need to give it a try, soon.