Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Oxylates and probiotics

I'm posting here because it seems to be the most active, and I was hoping someone might have some helpful insight.

I am totally and completely into raw spinach right now. It fills me up for very few calories and provides me with tons of nutrients and lots of fiber. I eat probably four cups a day of it.

I also have a genetic predisposition to kidney stones, and have had kidney stones previously. While I was eating moderate amounts of spinach, I didn't worry about its oxylate content, which has been linked to kidney stones. Now, I am slightly more concerned.

I have read online that probiotics can help remove some of the oxylates before they are deposited in the kidneys. I am also drinking tons of water and taking a cranberry supplement.

I don't want to give up my spinach. Anyone know of a brand of probiotics that would be helpful? Other tips?
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

If you eat yogurt regularly you should get the probiotics you need. I am on an antibiotic continually for acne and by eating yogurt consistently I don't really have any digestion issues.
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I recommend raw sauerkraut for probiotics. It's very common in European countries and incredibly healthy. I buy Goldmine from my health food store. It's super expensive but I mainly give it to my kids in small amounts.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I recommend raw sauerkraut for probiotics. It's very common in European countries and incredibly healthy. I buy Goldmine from my health food store. It's super expensive but I mainly give it to my kids in small amounts.
Yes!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Kimchi.

I eat it every day.

Get it from your local Asian store.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote