Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #1  

Default Wheat AND dairy free?!

So I'm back again...I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago and am looking to lose it again . I've recently been to a naturopath and she recommended to try out an anti inflammatory diet (been having Alot of bloating) which is basically avoiding ALL dairy products and anything containing wheat. It's so tough though. I've also been trying to do low carb but it's so limiting food selection wise cause everything it seems has added starch or wheat even in small quantities. Has anyone had experiences going on this type of meal plan before for general health? I'm thinking of dropping the low carb thing and just going to the dairy and wheat free (but still eating stuff like rice etc which is allowed) since it's so limiting...any experiences w this way of eating? It just seems like otherwise it's only meat fruit and veggies...which I like but not all the time!
I never had an issue before losing weight while eating dairy and grains but even when I'm thin I have belly fat and I've heard that low carb helps with that due to insulin and fat storage. That's primarily why I'm thinking low carb would help...

Last edited by chaitea115; 08-11-2014 at 11:51 AM.
chaitea115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Yep, take a look at paleo websites for recipe ideas. My mom is wheat and dairy free, but I eat small amounts of dairy.

I like egg/veggie scrambles for breakfast or mini crustless quiche

Lunch is usually some kind of soup

Dinner is usually stir fry, chili, stew, or some kind of meat/poultry/fish with veggies.

My snacks include fruit, veggies with dip, nuts, or jerky.

Try zucchini noodles, lettuce wrapped sandwiches/burgers, and cauliflower rice (though you wouldn't need to cut rice for wheat-free).

http://paleomg.com/
http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #3  

I'm 5'5 and 177 lbs... Looking to get around 120-130 lbs. I feel like it's gonna take me forever to lose this weight again. It took me 6 months to lose 50 lbs last time eating 1200 cals a day but I felt hungry Alot of the time even though I was eating "clean". And when I would up my calories more... I just wouldn't lose or it would be like 1/4 pound a week which would drive me nuts. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by chaitea115; 08-11-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

If you go wheat and dairy free for a year you will have dropped at least twenty pounds. I would always eventually Plateau on Paleo, though. Yes, the diet gets boring, but when I've done it I felt great!
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #5  

If you're still hungry, maybe you should take a look at our volumetrics thread - if you read through, you can see how most of us get super full without adding a lot of calories, just by changing the composition of our meals.

Volumetrics Thread
Old 08-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #6  
Warrior Princess

More power to those that can handle it but I would fail miserably trying to avoid dairy. Wheat I can do but not dairy. You guys must be super disciplined. I admire that.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #7  

Lol that's the issue ive been having... I guess just doing wheat free and dairy free is doable but me trying to do low carb/wheat free AND dairy is super hard. I went grocery shopping and was like there is wheat or starch in frigging everything it seems even if it's 8th down on the ingredient list. I'm also trying to avoid artificial sugars and anything super chemical with wierd ingredients. Alot of the low carb recipes sound super yummy but they use Alot of dairy and cheese in their recipes

Last edited by chaitea115; 08-11-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #8  

I think the most important part is to start basic and plan it out using simple ingredients instead of thinking of all of the things you can't have. I like to make several dishes and freeze them in portion sizes.

Breakfast is simple if you think of gluten free oats or even quinoa breakfast bowls, hashbrowns, or my old standby - eggs and veggies.

Lunch - stuffed peppers? Salad? Soup? Wraps made with lettuce/meat?

Dinner - burgers in lettuce with fries? Zoodles and meatballs with marinara? Stir fries, chili, casseroles, curries?

For example, tonight I'm having a dairy and wheat free Thai chicken zucchini noodles. Last night I had a chicken cobb salad, and tomorrow we're likely having shepherd's pie topped with cauli-mash.

Oops, I just realized you're low carb too. Just ignore anything that mentioned potatoes, quinoa, and oats

Last edited by Munchy; 08-11-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #9  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Yep, I've done this before - did wheat, dairy, egg, soy-free for a year (but did not drop 20 lbs, as Inkrid said. Calories still matter. ) I'm still wheat-free but back with dairy now. Munchy has wonderful ideas, especially her advice to focus on what you CAN eat. Paleo recipes are an excellent source of inspiration (and I love the sites she linked).

If I were you, I'd prioritize the wheat/dairy avoidance over carb restriction -- too much restriction is very, very hard to stick with. Don't go crazy trying to substitute GF alternatives, but if you allow yourself sweet potatoes, rice, quinoa, rice/quinoa-based pasta, you might feel less restricted. In general, try to make veggies your main goal. Meat, fruit, nuts, etc come in around the sides, and maybe some good sources of carbs, too. Pretty paleo. Actually, google "perfect health diet" for another source of inspiration -- it's a dumb name, but a couple of scientists sit around reading and synthesizing as many quality studies as they can, and come up with dietary recommendations (it's sort of paleo-esque, but more science-based).

My other piece of advice is to take care not to substitute in GF sugar-y treats to make up for feeling deprived. I don't usually have issues with refined carbs (snacky snacks, cookies, etc) - but on my year of uber-restriction, I gravitated to more and more goodies and reasoned that they were "OK" because they didn't have any stuff I was trying to avoid. That was definitely not the way to do things.

But take some shortcuts here and there as you need to; if lunch is occasionally some frozen veggies and, say, Amy's GF/dairy-free mac and cheese, that's OK. You can hit your weight loss goals and your health goals, but you'll do better with compliance if you take steps to find occasional "safe" splurges or quick meals.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have an assortment of chronic health issues that are mostly inflammatory in nature. I've gotten way off track dietwise over the last few months and (not surprisingly) I've gained weight and am feeling like crap with a lot of symptom flares (including recurrent infections and skin issues). The symptom flares are reminding me just how essential diet and exercise is for inflammation control, and how essential inflammation control is to feeling decent mentally and physically (at least for some of us).

My diet compliance has never been perfect, but the better I do, the better I feel (and lately I've been doing and feeling poorly).

From what I've read and experienced, it appears that different people often have different inflammatory triggers, so I highly recommend a diet/health journal (at minimum recording foods eaten, exercise, weight and ideally at least a general impression of wellbeing. Did you feel great, ok, or lousy....)

If you have any health issues, I would highly recommend one of the Healthminder symptom logs (at least for inspiration). I believe you can use the See Inside feature on amazon.com to view the health log pages.

With a symptom log, I was able to determine that wheat, yeast, sugars and (to a lesser degree) other nonfiber carbs are my worst inflammation triggers. Trace amounts do not seem to trigger problems, so while I find reading labels to be essential - if a trigger ingredient is listed way down on a long list of ingredients, I'm ok with that.

Wheat in combination with yeast and/or sugar causes the most severe problems for me. For example bread causes me more severe problems than wheat pasta (but rice pasta is even safer).

I also learned that I cannot drink milk without getting stomach upset, but I can tolerate fermented, cultured and aged dairy just fine (cheese, butter, yogurt, and cultured sour cream...).

Carb control, for me, is essential to weight and symptom control. I don't need to restrict carbs to the point of Atkins induction, but more than 100g of carbs per day and I start noticing symptoms.

When I first started experimenting with eliminating wheat, I used a lot of gluten-free products that were high in other starches and sugars, and eventually learned that they were also inflammation triggers if eaten in excess.

Potatoes, rice and wild rice seem to be my best-tolerated starches.

I have to be a bit careful with fruit, because I can easily get caught up in a fruit binge (such as the times I ate 3 lbs of cherries or 3/4 of a large watermelon in a day).

I also use anti-inflammatory supplements: fish oil, vitamin D, folic acid, flush-free niacin, and a multi-vitamin.

You might find that you have different inflammation triggers, so experimentation and journaling are your best tools.

You will have to repeat experiments many times to find legitimate patterns and to rule out coincidence. That's why a journal is so helpful.

This sounds like a lot of work, and at first it is, but it gets easier (and more rewarding) especially as you start to see patterns emerging.

Above all, do not get hung up on perfection. Focus on improvement and discovery. There is no failure here, only learning. You learn just as much from eating any given food as you do from avoiding it. Focus on the learning, not on labeling any food good or bad. You want to discover which foods you feel best on, not assign value, worth, or success to the foods or yourself.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote