Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

mars-I know this hunger scale thing has helped me so much! I'm really curious about this walnut oil I see you using....

3 raw brazil nuts, handful of dried diced papaya, some Walden Farms chocolate dip.

Oh and also a goat cheese medallion.

Last edited by Dottington; 07-24-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #62  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Watermelon! Olives. And a buttered roll...

Last edited by nonameslob; 07-24-2014 at 08:33 AM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:50 AM   #63  

noname-haha for some reason your buttered roll has me drooling! Since going gluten free I get very strange and random cravings every once in a while and a buttered roll sounds so fantastic! too funny.

Had a couple spoonfuls of Walden Farms chocolate dip I had planned on having some popcorn as a snack after dinner and even logged it on mfp but decided I simply wasn't hungry so ended up not having it.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #64  
Call me NNS!

It was nothing to be jealous of. Just a potato hamburger bun that I should have never eaten!

Had some watermelon again yesterday.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #65  
maintaining since 9/2013

Dottington I've tried 2 brands of walnut oil. I went to a class at our library last yr on how to make vinaigrettes and was introduced to all sorts of oils. Also trying to grab some omega-3s wherever I can....

The brand that I can literally sip through a straw is La Tourangelle. I think the key to flavor is when the oil is made from toasted nuts, although it may not have as much nutritional value. So when I swing into my pure/clean/organic mode, I currently have another walnut oil, only lightly toasted and not as tasty, but organic, certified non-GMO,unfiltered, the brand is Flora.

La Tourangelle is a local company up here in SF Bay Area--recommend checking their website. They may use a really wholesome nut but just haven't gone for the official organic certification. Vitacost.com sells it the cheapest though you may have to buy 2. I also like their pistachio oil; avocado--meh; toasted peanut oil is also amazing.

My little pearly of wisdom from the class was to refrigerate oils and buy in small quantities as they lose flavor when exposed to air/light.

I don't think I had a snack yesterday. It was hot and humid, and work was so hectic I didn't even think about food. It felt wonderful to wake up with a little hunger for a change!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #66  
Call me NNS!

mars, should all oils be refrigerated or only certain kinds? Very curious. I would think that would be annoying as most oils will become solids in the fridge. I refrigerated my homemade balsamic vinegarette and I get annoyed that I have to warm it up a bit before I can use it. But an oil that is going straight into a pan for cooking I don't care if it's solid.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #67  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

I had soup for dinner last night which never fills me up, Im always hungry mins. later especially when its not a hearty soup, So thats why I had 3 snacks last night I had 2 pudding cups, 2 frosted pop-tarts and a regular sized bag of popcorn but Im gonna start buying the mini bags of popcorn so Im not eating so much of it when I do feel like having popcorn, So far I went from Extra butter to just regular butter so I think Im making an improvement.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #68  
maintaining since 9/2013

TerraI'm with you re soup, even when it's best ever soup. Something about a liquid meal..I like something to chew on! Good going with reducing the butter. You might not even notice the difference and after a while even prefer less butter.

noname I so agree with the nuisance part of refrigerating oils. Mostly it's olive oil that's a problem. I've kept these in the refrig with no problem at all (if memory serves): walnut, toasted peanut, sesame, avocado, pumpkin seed, pistachio, grape seed.

Olive oil is the problem for me. I tried keeping in the wrmest part of the frig and that helps for a few days, but eventually it hardens. There are a few things to do: if you are making something for breakfast or lunch box, you can leave it out overnight when it's cooler, then refrigerate it the rest of the time.

Also: keep the bigger bottle in the refrig and dispense a few days supply into a smaller bottle to keep in the cupboard. Try not to have a lot of empty space in that small bottle because the air will oxidize the oil. That's why good evoo come in those tall skinny bottles.

Not sure about what would work for the balsamic vinaigrette. Maybe keep the non-oil parts in the refrig and add the oil right before using, the oil that isn't refrigerated, that is.

Sometimes I just don't worry about it and leave it out but it does make a difference in taste. I don't know if there any loss of nutrition or change in oil's health properties--that's just too much for me to worry about! [But I do keep my omega-3 tabs in the freezer and spend some time stewing about whether they have any benefit by the time they are bottled.]

My snack was -2/ +2 I made an iced mocha with chocolate whey shake, cinnamon, instant coffee--I love Taster's Choice--weird, I know. I also love "real" coffee.

Last edited by mars735; 07-25-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #69  
maintaining since 9/2013

Dottington, just noticed your new picures--WOW--really gorgeous!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #70  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Cantaloup
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #71  

mars-thanks for all the info! I've tried avocado, grapeseed, sesame, peanut, and of course coconut. For most stuff though I prefer my plain old olive oil. I'm really interested by walnut, peanut, pumpkin seed, and pistachio though! I'll have to give some a try. And thanks for the tips of refrigerating! You're always pointing me to cool new stuff Also, thanks! I noticed my face has changed a lot lately so thought I'd do a face pic

terra-soup usually doesn't do it for me either. I only make hearty soups, but they usually end up being pretty low cal anyways. I LOVE popcorn, I get the little bags from trader joes and those are the perfect amount for when I'm craving

noname-lol at the hamburger bun

Yesterday I had a mini bag of popcorn and a venti spiced rootbeer from starbucks.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #72  
Getting my life back

Trader Joe's is the God store of snacks. Some are NOT low calories... but they have so many options! I get a lot of their things for snacking. Hummus, veggies, wheat crackers, dried fruits, nuts, popcorns, etc. My fiance loves their cookie butter and chocolate almonds... which is dangerous for me because I'll snack on them on occasion...

Anyway.
English Muffin and Cookie butter
Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #73  
maintaining since 9/2013

You said it kurisitaru! I find many of their prepared foods leave me wanting more more more. I love the turkey meatballs but they're loaded with sugar. Leave it to my palate to seek out even the hidden sugar and get hooked!

Dottington, thank-you for the compliment. I do like to troll the grocery aisles! We have some good farmer's markets here too.

Snack today were bites and tastes of the food I was preparing for the week: canteloupe, bluberries, cucumber. There is a Quest brownie bar waiting for me in the trunk of my car.

Last edited by mars735; 07-27-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #74  
Getting my life back

Boiled Egg
Hummus and Carrots
Cup of coffee with very little sugar and cream... and it tasted great!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #75  
Getting my life back

I also like their cheap wines. XD Two Buck Chuck as my Fiance calls them. They are yummy and cheap. I'll also splurge on other wines as well, but it's easy to load up on some 2buck chucks for dinners.