3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Coconut oil I love thee (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/292818-coconut-oil-i-love-thee.html)

diamondgeog 02-15-2014 10:07 AM

Coconut oil I love thee

I started using coconut oil in January. Since then I have had the best weight loss in my life: 22 pounds since January 2nd.

I had to rethink all I've ever heard about fats my entire life: 92% saturated fats? Are you nuts trying it? Well do the research yourself. I now cook with it, bake with it, put it in coffee, even eat it directly. It should be organic and extra virgin.

I can get with subscribe and save on Amazon 15 ounces under $6.

BTW here is a great article on fats by Mary Enig. Well worth reading.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ated-fat1.aspx

Suzanne 3FC 02-15-2014 10:50 AM

22 pounds lost is fantastic! You've made significant changes to your diet all around, along with an energetic exercise program and it's nice to see that you are benefiting from your efforts :)

I buy coconut oil from Amazon, too. I love the way it smells and it does wonderful things for my dry winter skin. I use it instead of lotion :)

A lot of people don't trust Mercola's view on coconut oil because he owns a lot of stock in the coconut oil industry. He's financially vested in promoting it.

Dr. Weil published an article on coconut oil just yesterday. He says the evidence isn't quite there yet and the jury is still out.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40128...conut-Oil.html

I have this video bookmarked because it's so interesting. It's just about 3 minutes long. Dr. Michael Gregor took a closer look at the studies on the effects of coconut oil and it wasn't nearly as positive as Mercola would have us believe. Dr. Gregor is biased towards plant foods, so for him to say a plant based food product isn't necessarily a good thing was pretty astounding. The video is here..

diamondgeog 02-19-2014 01:33 PM

Michael Gregor's whole professional life and I would guess personal life is tied up to saturated fats are bad, from any source. He would be, I suspect but don't knomw, about as partial a source of info on coconut oil as you could find.

This is just one of hundreds of articles. I will post more later. But this is fascinating because the author Donald Miller was so into low fat he started a Dean Ornish heart center. But he has done a 180. He also is far from perfect, as we all are, in some of his other views, but his speciality is heart disease and that is what I am posting about.

Coconut oil and especially grass fed butters are among the healthiest foods on the planets. When Americans eat them virtually no heart disease at any age.
http://archive.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller38.1.html

diamondgeog 02-19-2014 05:57 PM

I do want to say I admire vegans and vegetarians on many levels: moral, environmental, etc. But I do think they tend to not look at diet and health objectively. They kind of put blinders on that their way is also better health wise. And it does have many compelling health benefits. And veggies are at the top of my list of foods.

But humans however much someone might wish it did not evolve as vegetarians. And we also did not evolve to eat grain. Going grain free and low carb is so rare that first there are no studies linking heart disease and saturated fats. And b most studies look at people on high carb low fat and compare them to high carb high fat. Commonality? High carb, which changes how your body works in general. Low carb high fat populations around the world, especially using natural grass fed fats from animals are extremely healthy with very low rates of heart disease.

I found this Q and A with Jeff Volek fascinating. I love the you are not what you eat but what you have left over after you eat. When I was high carb so many carbs were being stored as fat. Now on low fat, my nice nutritious fats protect my body then get burned off.

Dr. Volek: Carbs control insulin and insulin controls lipid (fat) burning for fuel. So, in our work, what we’ve shown, is that even though you’re eating more saturated fat on a low carb diet, perhaps 2-3 times the amount, the amount of saturates in your blood goes down because you’re body prefers to burn saturated fat as fuel.

Many people like to embrace the common aphorism, “You are what you eat,” but this is clearly not true, instead, “You are what you save from what you eat.” And when you’re on a low carb diet, your body is preferentially oxidizing fat for fuel, so you’re not storing it or accumulating it in cells, arteries, or fat stores. So if anything, dietary carbs are more related to increasing membrane levels of saturated fat. Dietary saturated fat has little correlation with the level of saturated fat in the body.

Dave: That’s a huge shift in paradigm because a lot of people don’t realize this and believe saturated fat causes heart disease.

Dr. Volek: Not just a lot of people, about 90% of medical professionals and even lipid researchers find this mind boggling.

Dave: To me, it makes total sense. If you’re insulin is up from too many carbs, then your body will respond with elevated saturates in the blood. So it makes sense.

Dr. Volek: It really threatens about 40 years of dietary policy that has been obsessed with the idea dietary fat increases your risk for heart disease. Rather than get stronger over time, if anything, the evidence has gotten weaker and weaker for this outdated hypothesis.

I also found this Vegan's appraisal of coconut oil:

http://veganheath.info/pure-coconut-oil-cholesterol

diamondgeog 02-20-2014 11:42 AM

From Dr. Weil,

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40126...of-Coffee.html

I just found grass fed butter in my area from Kalona farms. Definitely trying this.

As part of the article "Unfortunately, a misguided campaign against saturated fat (loosely defined as fat that remains solid at room temperature) waged in the U.S. since the late 1970s has left many Americans skittish about butter; they have been repeatedly warned that it 'clogs arteries." This notion was based on shaky research that, in my view, has now been refuted. A large-scale meta-analysis published in the March, 2010 issue the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found "no significant evidence" that dietary saturated fat is associated with increased heart disease risk. Still, I'm not comfortable telling people to eat it with abandon."

Fair enough. He might not be where I am and I am still not eating it with abandon. But glad he is keeping an open mind. Again when people eat lard and butter there was virtually zero heart disease. And yes people did live into their 70s, 80s, and 90s. And they were NOT dying of heart disease.

I would think that would give any person cause to at minimum do more research on saturated fats. But as soon as Crisco came on the seen, and industrial cotton oil product, our collective health started going kaput.

BTW Crisco and margarine to me are two of the worst and most harmful Frankenfoods ever created. They are manufactured industrial products that may be saturated. But they have NOTHING in common with good coconut oil and grass fed butter. I wouldn't touch margarine even if I was paid $2,000 a month to use it.

Mad Donnelly 02-20-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondgeog (Post 4944390)
I started using coconut oil in January. Since then I have had the best weight loss in my life: 22 pounds since January 2nd.

I had to rethink all I've ever heard about fats my entire life: 92% saturated fats? Are you nuts trying it? Well do the research yourself. I now cook with it, bake with it, put it in coffee, even eat it directly. It should be organic and extra virgin.

I can get with subscribe and save on Amazon 15 ounces under $6.

BTW here is a great article on fats by Mary Enig. Well worth reading.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ated-fat1.aspx

Thought you weren't going to post for a week? Just teasing.

Again you've posted a lot of info I'll have to go back and read. But for now, your amazing 22 pounds has convinced me to turn to coconut oil finally. I resisted only because of its unfamiliarity, not its saturated nature. So I will finally experiment and try the BPC and watch as my husband eyes me suspiciously as if I've lost my mind.

diamondgeog 02-20-2014 08:42 PM

Trying first BPC tomorrow. Remember you need to use grass fed butter. I am looking into possibly getting a press to use organic coffee beans.

Yeah there is a lot of info. Basically when people used grass fed butter and animal fat and coconut oil very little heart disease. When the 20th century creations came to be, heart disease skyrocketed.

Ubee 02-21-2014 12:00 PM

Larry glad to see you posting again!
I use it like you do and it is the best lotion ever!

nelie 02-21-2014 12:08 PM

I like coconut oil and it is one of the many that I use. Only thing I'd say is I wouldn't trust anything on mercola.com.

Overall, I think saturated fats were lumped into the issues with red meat. I mentioned elsewhere that there does seem research to back up the idea that red meat can be cause heart disease, specifically, l-carnitine found in red meat. I don't think saturated fats are evil, I just think you'd balance out your fats overall.

Sum38 02-21-2014 12:19 PM

Try Popping popcorn with coconut oil, yumm-o!

diamondgeog 02-21-2014 02:25 PM

Grain free now so no popcorn. Did you know movie theaters used to use coconut oil?

Finding more and more out about grass fed butter. Did you know it can help prevent breast cancer, is packed with K2, and omega 3 to omega 6 ratio is 1 to 1? Google grass fed butter superfood. Remember this is for grass fed.

Übee thanks. Nelie I think so many people on high meat were on high carbs also. That being said moderation is important as is getting grass fed when you can. Also having meat on the rare side, with veggies, and marinating it before hand seem to reduce negative effects. Having it charred by itself would be worse.

AwShucks 03-13-2014 12:23 AM

:censored:TMI alert!
I've been having a tsp of coconut oil in my coffee twice a day for several days and made a "fat bomb" that was surprisingly tasty. My hope is to up my weight loss like the OP, but how long does it take for your system to get used to the extra oil? It does a number on my stomach.

diamondgeog 03-14-2014 07:39 PM

It never really upset my stomach so I can't say for sure. Hopefully it will get better.

Found a new way to enjoy coconut oil. Look up buttermints.

My wife made some yesterday. Awesome. Just grass fed butter, coconut oil, raw honey, and peppermint extract.

AwShucks 03-14-2014 09:27 PM

That sounds yummy! I wonder if it would work with splenda instead of honey?

yoyoma 03-15-2014 09:53 AM

Hey, DG, I've been eating more goat cheese rather than going out of my way to find grass fed cow products. I haven't really researched it, but I figured goat dairy would be grass fed so shouldn't it be good too?