3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds

Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Coconut oil I love thee

Old 03-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #16

Congrats on the amount of weight that you lost.

I also use coconut oil and it's made a dramatic difference in my physical and mental appearance. I have more energy and feel way better than before.
Leanbodywomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #17
diamondgeog

Thanks. I feel amazing. And once over the giving up bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. it hasn't been that hard. Sure it takes effort to give up lifelong favorites. But my appetite self-regulated so well and so many yummy foods left, it was worth it 100 times over.

BTW I posted in carb counters an infographic that is one of the best things to read or share with anyone not low carb yet.

Regarding goat cheese. Don't underestimate the power of big food to change anything. I would think goats would not be fed a grain diet but I suppose that is possible with commercial operations. So I'd still be careful.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #18

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Hey, DG, I wanted you to know that you inspired me to buy some coconut oil, lol . I don't intend to replace all the othre oils I use (EVOO, walnut, sesame, canola...) but I will use it as well. I made a green curry with it... yum!

yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #19
diamondgeog

Great yoyoma. I very much encourage you to research canola oil. I knew nothing of it months ago. Now I won't touch it. It will repulse you when you find out about it. Any omega 3 it had is gone by the time you are using it.

Olive oil is great but not for cooking. I just got macadamia oil for cooking but pretty expensive. You can get beef tallow from US Wellness, we did haven't tried it yet. We are also cooking with grass fed butter.

I started 'oil pulling' my teeth with coconut oil recently. Pretty amazing, look it up. And I use it in (what's left of) my hair now.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #20

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I've been using coconut oil and grassfed butter in my coffee. I think it has helped me with my weightloss... it replaced the creamers I was using in my coffee though. I used to think the creamers weren't a big enough impact on my diet, but maybe they were since they have the sugar and corn syrup in it.

Green Mountain has some nice organic coffees...some of them are single origin coffees (forgot the name, one I bought is an orange bag) that has become one of my favorites.

Think it's still up for debate on what humans are meant to be eating. I've also read the ideal diet for humans is the fruitarian diet, so it is possible to eat vegan/vegetarian and be healthy. I'm not 100% there (ie, I include the butter), but most of my diet now is close, cutting out grains and processed foods. I think vegetarians lost their healthy rep with all of the processed foods and Frankenfoods that came out.

Last edited by ringmaster : 03-22-2014 at 08:39 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #21
diamondgeog

I personally find vegans/vegetarians done right and Paleo/Primal very close. They need to stop bashing each other.

At their hearts they all have veggies and whole foods. I find the evidence compelling for no grains and my body agrees. So I go Paleo Primal there. But I am fine with dairy personally.

What irks me a little is the vegans/vegetarians who say humans didn't eat meat or even good quality grass fed meat is bad for you.

The moral and environmental arguments are very strong and compelling. But when they start saying humans didn't eat meat, that to me is impossible to claim. But saying shouldn't eat meat, OK, some strong arguments there. Not health wise for me, but environmental, moral yes.

But even there, Paleo Primal done right is animals raised humanely in good conditions. So even close there.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 03-22-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

I have been eating 1 TBL organic virgin coconut oil after reading up on it. I figured it can't hurt, and might really help. I have already seen help with certaindigestive issues, and I think it is true that it helps to burn fat. I am not good at understanding science and how the different fats break down, but I do know that I am post-menapausal and I'm still losing without much trouble.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #23
YumaDeb

S/C/G: 205/185.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Coconut oil is my favorite for cooking and has so many other great uses and benefits. I even put it in my smoothies. Congrats on losing 22 pounds! I am sure that isn't just from using coconut oil. My weight loss coach advised me to eliminate wheat, gluten, soy and dairy. That pretty much means not eating any processed foods, as at least one of those is an ingredient in just about every thing. I love goat cheese and sheep cheese as a substitute for cow cheese. Many of the commercial gluten free breads and crackers are made with potato starch and/or tapioca flour. I find that both of those are more inflammatory for me than wheat. I think I am better off going low carb as well.
YumaDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #24
maintaining since 9/2013

S/C/G: 244/148/145

Height: 5'4.5"

Butternut squash cubed and roasted with coconut oil, cayenne pepper, and garlic is heavenly!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #25

My buying that coconut oil triggered something in my husband. He is now on a quest to create the perfect curry sauce for salmon. I am the lucky recipient of his attempts.

I wasn't too surprised about that, but last night I found out that he has bought a pack of basil seeds to grow his own basil for the curry!

So, it goes to show how sharing your experience can have a real impact on other peoples' lives!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #26
maintaining since 9/2013

yoyoma: I'm interested! It would be so great to have basil available every day that's not in a plastic box or wilting in the refrig. Do you happen to know if it can tolerate partial sun/some shade? Thanks for sharing and Bon Apetit!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #27
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

The secret to a good curry is not skimping on the oil. One of my favorite bloggers has a number of curry recipes which you could modify for salmon. My husband's favorite is near the bottom of this list, potato, chickpea and spinach curry. I added more coconut oil than the recipe called for
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/search?q=Curry
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #28

Thanks for the tip, nelie! I'll pass it along.

Mars, I think basil likes full sun. But it does well in pots so it can be grown on a sunny window sill. I'm going to let DH take care of all that. We used to grow a garden, but gave that up as DD got older and we got busier. We have several years of compost ready when we are, lol!

Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #29
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
Thanks for the tip, nelie! I'll pass it along.

Mars, I think basil likes full sun. But it does well in pots so it can be grown on a sunny window sill. I'm going to let DH take care of all that. We used to grow a garden, but gave that up as DD got older and we got busier. We have several years of compost ready when we are, lol!
Oooooh I can't wait to try growing some indoor basil! Lately I've been adding it to all sorts of dishes and it adds so much flavor, as well as a 'good-for-the-soul' experience to the food. Thanks!

Your compost will surely come in handy when the times comes.

Last edited by mars735 : 04-07-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #30

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

This thread has been an interesting read, thanks everyone for sharing so much information. Btw congrats on the weight loss diamondgeg and mars735 (i hope i haven't left anyone out the thread became quite long all of a sudden!). My aunt started using coconut oil a few years ago for cooking, so I gave it a whirl and had success with cooking vegetables. I was a bit skeptical about putting it in coffee; but after reading this thread tried a bit and it was great (shocked). It does add a nutty flavour. Ironic how losing weight has opened up my mind to a vast array of new ingredients and recipes.
waterdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.