Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Bengal Spice tea and coconut oil

I've been trying coconut oil for the last few days. I was always very much saturated fat...it is the devil. Because that is what we are told.

But I think the evidence for some saturated fats, especially coconut oil is now going the other way. So I'd been experimenting in coffee and various cooking uses.

Well I just tried it in some Bengal Spice tea. That is a Celestial Seasonings tea I found on Amazon.

Holy Cow! My goodness it is the most amazing taste combination. If you do get coconut oil be sure to get organic and extra virgin. Other types might not have the health benefits and could even be bad for you.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

That sounds like such a unique combination, that I might just have to try it! I already have coconut oil, but I've never tried Bengal Spice tea. Some people say it helps them feel fuller so they lose weight but just be careful with how much you use. By the way, how much did you add to your tea? A teaspoon maybe? Just wondering. Thanks for the suggestion.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 AM   #3  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

luckymomma, I have Bengal Spice tea but no coconut oil; we should join forces haha.

I can tell I'd like this. Thanks for the heads up, diamondgeog!
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I love coconut oil. I use it to replace butter in a lot of recipes. Trading one saturated fat for a possibly better one.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I Just was looking at this great site yesterday. It it said there is little scientific evidence to support the notion of coconut oil being so good for you. That is the claims being made for it are baseless. Its just another marketing fiction.

I think this is a good thing because it ruins a good curry.

I wish i had kept a link to that page because it was fascinating.

There are a number of delicious vegetable oils that are definitely not containing saturated fat. They are olive oil which is my favourite, peanut oil, i love a lot. Mustard seed oil is yummy but delicate.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #6  
diamondgeog

I do olive oil mostly. And I have found just as many articles saying coconut oil is wonderful for you. It is good to be skeptical of course. Very, very good.

You need to see the source for that link. A lot of research is sponsored by industries. I suggest everyone do their own research. I will say that island populations with a LARGE amount of coconut oil consumption have very low levels of heart disease. Of course there is the whole picture, but that should give anyone pause.

Anyhow more and more studies are showing fat related to heart disease is bunk. And America Reduced fat and heart disease went UP. That should make you think...hum.

In any event I think I used maybe a teaspoon and a half. I used a tablespoon but did not fill it. It was wild how well they meshed.

We use organic butter now. I will take that any day of the year over any spread even the 'healthy' ones. Nothing wrong with butter, especially organic and from grass fed cattle if you can find it, in moderation. Butter from grass fed cattle is supposed to have a wonderful array of fats.

And no way I would go back to the spreads over butter. Butter is a real honest to good food, not these concoctions.

I am very passionate about people at least considering this: In the last 40 years we have been told to cut fat, fat leads to heart attacks. And people did. What happened? Heart disease, diabetes, and obesity skyrocketed. Everyone deserves for themselves and their loved ones and friends to urge them to think about that and look at the new research on fats.

Lots of fats got replaced by carbs. IMHO carbs for many people leads to being hungry all the time and less energy to exercise. It has not been a happy thing when fat was blamed. It has turned out very badly for America (huge health care costs) and Americans (300,000 dead a year from diet/exercise related complications).

It turns out the fats leads to heart disease studies were very flawed. Should you know eat a stick of butter for health? No. But you should not be afraid of some coconut oil and certainly not butter in your cooking.

But search out the info for yourself.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 01-07-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

crispin, I'll meet ya half way and we'll work things out.

diamondeog, I like everything you had to say. It seems that these days, we can find a study to support or debunk just about anything. I do my research and try to follow what makes sense overall.

Thanks again for posting.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #8  
One Smart Cookie

S/C/G: 253/196/137

Height: 5'8"

I am conditioning my hair right now with coconut oil and have started using it as a makeup remover, i do sometimes use it in cooking, but mostly for cosmetic reasons
jnmcelwain is offline   Reply With Quote