3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Shirataki Noodles (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/290169-shirataki-noodles.html)

Catgoyle 11-30-2013 12:42 AM

Shirataki Noodles

Has anyone tried Shirataki Noodles? I have read good things about them for producing a filling effect and they are almost totally fiber.
I have not ever been a pasta person, but I am always looking for new low carb foods to make dishes with. I am wondering if I could make lo-mein with them, that is one of the only noodle dishes I ever liked.

EasySpirit 11-30-2013 07:11 AM

I have tried the ones with a tofu base; they come in long, long pieces and you must rinse them very well before using. I found them tasteless, but a good filler at 20 calories. There are different varieties now. If you go to the hungrygirl.com website, you will find a number of recipes to use with them.

dreawilk 11-30-2013 10:35 AM

The Miracle Noodles and rice are amazing!!! Just make sure you rinse them well and dry them before you add to the food you are preparing. Also, I don't think they would be all that good plain--when you add them to a dish they take on the flavor of the food. Yummy! Wonderful! Filling!!

dreawilk 11-30-2013 10:38 AM

I wanted to add onto my post, but am not sure how to do it. When I said dry them, I just meant that I put them between two paper towels and pat out the excess moisture. If you have more questions, just let me know.

Catgoyle 11-30-2013 10:58 PM

Thank you both for responding! I found them in my local Albertsons tonight while shopping, I bought a package.
I must say, they look nasty and slimy lol
But I think I will try a making them as lo-mein and see if I like them.

CherryPie99 12-01-2013 08:41 PM

I recently discovered Miracle Noodles - I think they are similar? I LOVE them! I typically
mix in chicken and tomatoes. I personally love the taste.

Jen

Sonyasbug 12-01-2013 09:19 PM

I use the tofu ones for a lo mein. Delish. I add egg, shred cabbage, garlic, lite soy sauce and cook in an oriental flavored oil. One of my favorite items. Sometimes I add protein in for a complete meal.

Psychic 12-03-2013 01:30 PM

I have had the Miracle Noodle brand. I found them at Giant Eagle. If you purchase them, be sure to rinse them before heating them up. The kinda have a fishy odor. Texture is a bit chewy and really not like a noodle at all. They don't have much of a flavor on their own, unless you buy the marinated ones. I added pesto and olive oil to mine. Edible, but not very tasty or satisfying. They are very low calorie/low carb, and if you're just looking for a filler, these might do the trick.

Personally, I won't be buying them again. I'd rather buy whole grain pasta. If you need low-carb pasta, I'd suggest Dreamfields pasta. My mom's doctor suggested it to her because she's diabetic.

Dreamfields Pasta Info

tommy 12-03-2013 08:25 PM

Had some today in a tasty soup I made for the week. Brussels sprouts, carrots, green onions, chives, and tofu in turkey stock. So satisfying.

Munchy 12-05-2013 09:32 AM

I treat them how I treat rice sticks or ramen - not how I treat other pastas. They work very well in Asian style dishes and noodle bowls.

For a pasta sub, I like to use zucchini noodles (zucchini peeled into noodles). They are more noodle-y to me and I'm getting in some vitamin C, vitamin A, and one zucchini is only around 30-35 calories :)

Link

Catgoyle 12-07-2013 08:46 PM

I made lo-mein with the Shirataki noodles today, not bad at all. I will definitely make them again.
Thank you everyone for your input, without your recommendations, I would not have ever tried them. I think they will be a great addition to my meal plans.

shrewlu 12-15-2013 04:36 AM

I love Shirataki noodles. I've been eating a Shirataki based mac&cheese for lunches this week. Admittedly, it isn't nearly as satisfying as a real mac & cheese, but it is loads better for me and doesn't taste too bad at all.