Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 18 st 3.5 lbs

Height: 5ft 3 ins

Question egg yolks

hi, i'm seeing a lot of really tasty looking recipes that call for using egg whites, for example, 2 eggs and 4 egg whites but what do you do with the yolks? don't want to waste them all. Are there recipes that call for using the yolks too?

also some call for egg replacement and i'm not sure where you get that or what it is, can you use egg in place of that?

thanks
big girl 129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Can you give an example of an egg replacement recipe? I don't eat eggs but sometimes egg replacement in recipes I see is for something like flax seeds with water but depends on the recipe.

Egg yolks are higher calorie and fat than egg whites which is why you see a lot of diet recipes call for egg whites. In some recipes, egg whites are used for lift (soufflé type recipes).

For egg yolks, you could feed them to your dog if you have dogs. You could mix them in with a salad or a breakfast burrito or whatever else.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I think in most recipes when you see "egg replacement" it's usually egg beaters (unless it's a vegan recipe in which you can use Ener-g or chia seeds). Egg beaters are just overpriced, dyed egg whites that come in a carton, usually found in the refrigerated dairy section with sour cream and cheese.

Cooking Light has a collection of recipes for your leftover yolks. LINK
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/137/124

Height: 5 feet 3''

Hm, I don't know what the problem would be if you would "waste" them. Yolks have more calories, more fat - and I think it is better to throw them away, then to "recycle" them in a new recipe... The main reason to use the egg whites in the recipes is to save kcal or fat, so get rid of the yolks...
So my advice would be throw them away...
teddine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #5  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Put them in your hair! (Google for hair mask recipes.)
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I would scramble with a litte low fat milk, fry with a little olive oil and eat them with a salad. Great source of protein as well as other nutrients and the calories won't be too bad.

Last edited by IanG; 09-27-2013 at 01:15 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153 (post pg)/ticker/125

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I would scramble with a litte low fat milk, fry with a little olive oil and eat them with a salad. Great source of protein as well as other nutrients and the calories won't be too bad.
Yes!!! Egg yolks are a source of awesome goodies like B6, B12, folate, and trace minerals. Don't fear the fat--it'll keep you full longer. Likewise, current research shows that dietary cholesterol has virtually no impact on blood cholesterol levels in the vast majority of the population.
interzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 18 st 3.5 lbs

Height: 5ft 3 ins

thanks everyone, i wasn't sure what the egg replacement was about either so i;ll just ignore those recipes lol

i also think there is a lot of goodness in egg yolk that far outweighs (sorry about the pun) the calories, protein and the vitamins included are very good for you. i like the idea of scrambling them tho,

big girl 129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #9  

I don't know exactly what egg replacement is but I've seen it in the grocery store. I've seen it in the aisle with natural/gluten free foods, it's just so your food can be egg free for vegans. You can still use the recipes with eggs instead.
Ptefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote