3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds

Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

HFCS one of the worse things ever for weight gain/obesity/bad health?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #61

JohnP you misconstrued my context comment somewhat. First to admit overall sweetener consumption is key. But i continue to think there is much more to the context of HFCS than just 55% or often 60% plus fructose. To you it seems that is all, to me it is a Franken-sweetener until proven otherwise.

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340
diamondgeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #62

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
...To you it seems that is all, to me it is a Franken-sweetener until proven otherwise.
I think you will have to leave it at that. Some people (like me) don't need a lot of proof or too many studies to convince me that chemically manufactured goods aren't good for me. Other people need a lot of proof. Like I was saying, it's not necessary to convince others, as long as you can convince your family then you've done a lot of good in the world.

"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #63
Warrior Princess

S/C/G: 155/138/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Everything in moderation. I can eat foods containing HFCS and get fat, I can still eat HFCS and get thin. All depends on calories and portion control.

novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #64
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
JohnP you misconstrued my context comment somewhat. First to admit overall sweetener consumption is key. But i continue to think there is much more to the context of HFCS than just 55% or often 60% plus fructose. To you it seems that is all, to me it is a Franken-sweetener until proven otherwise.
I don't disagree with you. I merely think that mercury contamination and greater than 55% concentration in HFCS are a seperate conversation which is why I haven't been addressing them. No question - if manufacturers of HFCS are contaminating the product with mercury or going over the max allowed fructose content they should be punished/penalized or shut down.

To be clear - when I say context I mean that in the sense of the individual. Two extreme examples would be Kaplods for whom even a small amount of sugar is bad - on the other end would be a bodybuilder doing a carb load and might consume 150g of sugar in a day.

Maintaining for two years and I eat whatever I want - just not however much I want. Details here.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #65

That is true. I am on the more carb reactive side. I have a co-worker who eats I am not kidding a half dozen donuts daily and mass fast food. He is in his 50s. Not sure how healthy he is but he has a flat stomach and is not overweight.

But for most people and probably him (he goes to doctors a lot so not exactly healthy) as well carbs are a huge health burden. And HFCS adds more unknowns.

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340

Last edited by diamondgeog : 09-29-2013 at 10:38 AM.
diamondgeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #66
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Just noticed cautionary notes about hfcs on the 3 Fat Chicks Home page -- ie, avoid HFCS!

w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!

Last edited by Annik : 10-03-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.