Bringing SPICY back

• I crave spicy.
    Yet, I can't help but binge on tortilla chips.
    Hot pickled peppers suck the colour from my poor unsuspecting brocoli...

How do you get your 'spicy' in?
  • I love spicy foods too!

* Cayenne pepper in everything! I'll steam up some veggies, top with just enough butter so the spices will stick and spinkle some cayenne pepper on top.

Here's a good spice mix to put on chicken:

1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon salt (or less, if you're looking to cut down sodium)
    1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
    1/2 tablespoon black pepper
    1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper

I usually mix this up and then store it in those small snack sized zip-baggies and use it in different dishes by either the teaspoon or sprinkled in pinches. I'm trying to get better at measuring things when cooking, but seasonings is still a step that I eyeball.

* Sirracha (sp) in soups. Just squeeze in a bit and then stir to combine.

* diced jalepenos in stir-frys. Roasted anaheim peppers in the oven. Cut in half lengthwise, take out seeds and ribs, drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until to preferred doneness. Either jullienne and use in fajitas or fill like you would for stuffed peppers.

* canned chipolte peppers (a little goes a long way!) in ground beef. Add a bit of the sauce that comes with it for an extra kick.
  • I am addicted to chipotle chilies in adobo sauce. I also just take different varieties of dried chilies and grind them up and use the powder as a spice mix.
  • We just got a smoked chipotle spice mix at sam's, it's pretty awesome.
    DH sprinkled a bit on our salad tonight, it was great.

I've been craving spicy, too. I was wondering what that was all about. I went through a long spell where I didn't want spicy, now I'm looking for red pepper flakes to put on my pizza, tabasco in my eggs, etc. not super spicy, but definitely craving some heat more than in the past....

best to all
  • I seek out a variety of hot sauces, use hot curry mixes, add thai chili peppers or jalapenos to salads, stir-fry, pizza, soups, curries. Probably my favorite summer way to enjoy spice is with fresh homemade pico de gallo (chopped fresh tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and jalapenos).
  • I LOVE spicy food but I have to be careful since I have severe acid reflux.

I usually get it in by adding hot sauce (habanero, sweet chipotle, and jalapeno flavored are my faves) to practically everything savory.

I love pureeing one chipotle pepper (from can) with some lime juice, bit of water and oil to use as a marinade (for meat and/or veggies.) Mmm! You could add a little sugar if you want it sweet and spicy. Sometimes I like to do homemade chipotle ranch dressing/sauce or just add hot sauce and dry ranch seasoning to cottage cheese if I do not feel up to making dressing from scratch.

Another fave of mine is grilled sweet corn with a mixture of butter, lemon-lime juice, cilantro, garlic and cayenne pepper.
  • salivating present participle of sal·i·vate (Verb)

1.Secrete saliva.
    2.Display great relish at the sight or prospect of something.

Thanks for the replies!!
  • There is this williams buffalo wing seasoning mix for 60 calories per 18g.
    That is enough for me to cover 2 servings (8oz) of boneless skinless chicken breast, I drizzle a tsp of olive oil over an aluminum foil covered flat pan and bake in the oven at 450 until golden brown.

Spicy chicken nuggets yummy.
  • I put sriracha or picamas on EVERYTHING, sometimes both, with the occasional Franks in there! I also like any kind of pepper, jalapeno, cayenne, etc, and I spoil myself with fancy flavored hot sauces from craft fairs.