Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #16  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
Maybe it's because I finally got my head out of the bowl of pasta, the bowl of white rice and the bowl of mashed potatoes and realized there is healthier food out there! I do believe there was some negative news recently and that got my attention, that quinoa crops were too expensive for the poor people to eat anymore due to it's recent popularity. Actually I think the story was linked here in a 3FC thread.
Although it is a different topic entirely, I read that article and it has received a lot of criticism for presenting false information. There are some other articles out there though that talk about the changing climate in impoverished areas that are now being built up economically due to popularity of quinoa and as a result, local people are able to afford other foods that they couldn't afford previously. There is also concern because quinoa is a global crop now and Canada produces a large amount of it and many of the US imports are from Canada. So although areas that are becoming economically stable due to quinoa crops are having to also compete with other countries that didn't grow quinoa until recently.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

I love them. I use them to make muffins instead of eggs. I believe they have omega 3 in them.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #18  

Height: 5'4"

I have a bag that I need to remember to use up. I've used them in oatmeal. Would love more ideas! I don't think I'll bother getting them again.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #19  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Ground flax seeds are subject to going rancid which is what I don't like. I can keep my chia seeds in my pantry but you need to keep flax seeds in the fridge and I'm not sure how long they stay good for in the fridge? Maybe longer than I think but I've heard so many rancid flax seed horror stories that I buy whole flax seeds when I buy them.
The ones from Flax USA claim that they do not need refrigerated, but can be if desired. I've had a bag for a few months now and it hasn't gone rancid yet. I dunno. I just keep the bag well sealed in the cupboard.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #20  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for all the info!

Here's another one...anyone tried Teff?

http://www.bobsredmill.com/whole-grain-teff.html

Last edited by SoMuchFattitude; 03-13-2013 at 02:14 PM.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #21  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I love ethiopian food so we often go which includes Injera, a bread made out of teff. Injera is a bit tricky to make so I've never attempted to make it myself.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote