Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #1  
Changing my lifestyle

Height: 6'3"

Default my poison!!!

my poison is pizza...does anybody have any low cal pizza alternatives or a healthy homemade crust?
brandonjohnston84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I make my pizza on a small whole wheat pita with lots of veggies and minimal cheese.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I make my pizza on a large whole-grain tortilla that I've prebaked a little so it's just a little crisp. I top it with thinly sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced red onions, shredded cheese, and fresh chopped cilantro, and bake/broil for a couple of minutes. I have it for lunch a couple of times a week and find it as tasty as "real" pizza.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I use Flatout Flatbread - tons of healthy recipes here:

http://www.flatoutbread.com/
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #5  

My husband does the same like freelancemomma and I think it clocks in somewhere about 200 calories depending what toppings he adds. He's totally satisfied with it as being pizza for dinner and it satisfies the craving compared to our local takeout with 350 (or more!) calories a slice. And who only eats one slice?

I also make zucchini appetizers by baking the zucchini rounds a little, then adding a dab of sauce, about half a slice of pepperoni and a sprinkle of cheese and basil or italian seasoning. Amazing!

In the worst case scenario at home, you can buy the 100 calorie English muffins and make them that way. You would get 4 halves with toppings for less than 400 calories if you plan the toppings right.

So many ways for pizza to be lower calorie!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #6  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I haven't tried it yet, but there are some recipes out there for a cauliflower crust pizza that sound really good. There are zucchini crust recipes too.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/158.5/140

Height: 5'2"

I use a flatout wrap. They are pretty. Thin and crispy crust. =)
kgurlstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 333.5/306.5/200

Height: 5 ft. 11 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
I make my pizza on a large whole-grain tortilla that I've prebaked a little so it's just a little crisp. I top it with thinly sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced red onions, shredded cheese, and fresh chopped cilantro, and bake/broil for a couple of minutes. I have it for lunch a couple of times a week and find it as tasty as "real" pizza.

Freelance
This sounds delicious! I must try it soon.
meandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #9  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I made a "white pizza" earlier that was pretty tasty. This is a recipe for two because the sandwich thins are two pieces. Approximately 302 calories for two.

Aldi Sandwich Thins (makes two small pizzas) - 100
2 Tbsp. Light Cream Cheese - 60
1 tsp. Ranch Flavor Seasoning - 2
2 slices Mozzarella Cheese - 100
2 Tbsp. Turkey Bacon Bits - 40

Put the sandwich thins on a metal tray. Spread the cream cheese on the sandwich thins and sprinkle ranch seasoning on them. Then put the turkey bacon on the cream cheese and lay the cheese on top. Broil for 3 minutes.

Next time I make these, I'm going to add spinach and mushrooms as well.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

I like using whole wheat tortillas and flat out bread as well!

I also like to use pasta sauce that has 60 calories are less a serving and finely shredded cheese because it stretches farther but still looks like more. They aren't the healthiest thing in the world, but I turkey pepperoni sometimes as well. They are 70 calories for 17 slices and I don't hardly ever use half of that on an individual pizza.

I like lots of different veggies on pizza - onion,mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, colored peppers, jalapenos, spinach, tomato. These provide bulk to a pizza without adding many calories. I find that sometimes they don't cook well if I'm using a super thin crust so I'll often pre-cook them a little in a skillet with a touch of water instead of oil.

I'm really interested in trying a cauliflower and/or zucchini crust for pizza myself.

Addition: Making the flatout or tortilla pizzas are so quick and easy, but sometimes I'm out of ingredients or really don't want to cook at all. In those cases I'll go to Papa Murphy's and get a take and bake delite (super thin crust) veggie pizza with tomato sauce and cheese on the side. Cheese is too calorie dense for me to trust them to put "light cheese" on themselves. I do have to watch portion control though because it is too easy to eat too many pieces!

Has anyone tried low calorie individual frozen pizzas? I'm curious if any of them are decent.

Last edited by Renwomin; 02-02-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

I eat the Lean Cuisine pizzas. My favorite is garlic chicken alfredo. OMG, this beats many other pizzas. IMO of course, but I've always thought I loved the french bread pizzas. Nope. This one, I LOVE. Give it a try! Has great flavor. The garlic adds a lot, and the crust is not too thick.

Other than that, I love pizza, too. I usually get my daughter and I a small thin crust with onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, easy sauce and easy cheese. We tear that thing up. It's tasty, and it's fairly guilt-free. Better than ripping through a deep-dish meat lover's, which is what I REALLY want to do sometimes!
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/207/135

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but there are some recipes out there for a cauliflower crust pizza that sound really good. There are zucchini crust recipes too.
I mad the cauliflower crust yesterday and it was pretty good! Kind of tricky to get the right consistency but overall good substitute.
storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm View Post
I mad the cauliflower crust yesterday and it was pretty good! Kind of tricky to get the right consistency but overall good substitute.
I'm making it tonight, I hope it turns out ok! It's a bit intimidating but I might be making more out of the recipe than necessary. I'm glad you thought it was pretty good!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote