3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Sushi Lovers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/274247-sushi-lovers.html)

Airycuh 01-25-2013 09:08 PM

Sushi Lovers

I'm not sure about you all, but I absolutely love sushi! But with my weight loss journey, I'm not always sure what items to lean towards or stay away from.. Or is it best to stay away from sushi in general?

I used to eat it at least twice a week, but now I'm not so sure if its what is best for my body. I figure to stay away from deep fried, any spicy mayso, and eel sauce. What, in your opinion, is the healthiest way to eat sushi?

baker23 01-25-2013 10:18 PM

I'm actually really curious about this as well...xD so I'll be lurking over here waiting for answers....

I stopped eating speciality rolls and just started sticking with the basics, with NO sauce...Usually just a simple veggie roll :)

TripSwitch 01-25-2013 10:32 PM

I just stick to really, really good sashimi and skip the sushi rice these days and maybe get a seaweed salad and I'm good with that...

ilovemo 01-25-2013 11:07 PM

I loveeee sushi, but I think it's only suitable for treats.. Wayyy too starchy to eat often.

Mozzy 01-25-2013 11:10 PM

I love sushi.
I stick to salmon rolls mostly. No sauce, no fancy anything...
When I can afford the fancier rolls (sushi is expensive), I just consider that my full caloric intake for the day (1200) cals

newleaf123 01-26-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripSwitch (Post 4607478)
I just stick to really, really good sashimi and skip the sushi rice these days and maybe get a seaweed salad and I'm good with that...

^^^ THIS ^^^

Eydawn 01-29-2013 01:47 PM

Handroll full of veggies and the fish and hold the rice... tuna poke salad... sashimi... yeah, love all of those! Sometimes you just want the roll though, and that's OK if you budget for it. Just gotta be aware how much caloric/carb intake you're getting in a roll with white rice. Brown rice is a decent thing in sushi, though it changes the flavor significantly...

AlmostMe 01-29-2013 03:03 PM

If you're not low-carb, then I can't see the problem with sushi - avoiding the caloric sauces and sticking to fish and veggie stuff - it's all pretty low calorie. I guess with soy, etc it could be pretty high sodium.

Renwomin 01-29-2013 05:39 PM

As you mentioned, obviously it is better if you don't have sushi with fatty or sugary sauces or tempura (deep fried). It is crazy how popular deep fried sushi has gotten in America!

Like Eydawn mentioned handrolls without rice and with veggies are great.

http://recipe.nijiya.com/wp-content/...emakisushi.jpg

Sometimes if I don't want to bother with a special order I'll just remove some or all of the rice on a regular sushi roll (especially if it is white instead of brown). It isn't that rice is so horrible, but to me the taste isn't worth the extra calories. I'd rather eat the tasty fish and veggies instead!

I think sushi is a great diet choice as long as you order it the right way!

Skinnygirldreams 01-29-2013 05:48 PM

So glad you asked this. I LOVE SUSHI! I think this is one of the things I would miss the most if I couldn't have it every once in a while. Sashimi.. I've tried it, not a huge lover of it, but it may have to become my new top favorite lol. White Rice is kind of taboo because of the calories i'd eat just with the rice. like someone else said... I'd rather have more of the fish and veggies.

jennybee 01-29-2013 06:10 PM

I order it with brown rice if I can get it, but being a vegetarian I usually just get avocado/cucumber rolls so they're not too calorie-full anyway.

I've made it with quinoa at home to great success, but I'm not a sushi purist like I know some people are!

newleaf123 01-29-2013 06:13 PM

This post made me wonder... I found a site that had sushi and sashimi calories (can't vouch for it's accuracy) and the interesting thing was that a piece of tuna SUSHI only had 10 calories more than a piece of tuna SASHIMI, although it also indicated that a piece of sashimi is usually 2x the fish than the sushi.

So for their tuna sushi, you were getting 20 calories from the fish and 30 for the rice, where as with the sashimi, you were getting 40 calories from the fish.

The eye opener is if you get the tuna ROLL (ie, the hand roll thats cut up into the circles). That has 184 calories for 6 large circles. So I think when you are sticking with plain fish, not the fancy sushi that has other stuff in it or is deep fried, etc, the danger comes from eating too many rolls, I guess due to all the rice.

Here is the site I was looking at. http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/