3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   baked mediterranean veggie sandwich - Dominos dupe! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/274046-baked-mediterranean-veggie-sandwich-dominos-dupe.html)

Alyj89 01-23-2013 02:19 AM

baked mediterranean veggie sandwich - Dominos dupe!

So the other night I had a Mediterranean veggie sandwich from Dominos. You know those greasy, delicious oven-baked sandwhiches they have? Yeah. Even the veggie one clocks in at almost 700 calories! But it was DELICIOUS. And as soon as I finished the last bite, I knew I had to learn to make it myself - healthier!

Mine ends up around 415 calories, give or take, depending on what bread you use.
(Please note that I don't count veggie calories in my diet!)

Ingredients:
Bread of your choice. (((Personally, I use the fresh french bread from walmart - about 90grams worth.))) -250 calories
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
Banana Peppers to your taste (((jarred is fine - I got Valasic, and used about 3 TBSP)))
Onion to your taste (((I used yellow)))
3 TBSP Chopped Tomato
3/4 cup Fresh Baby Spinach
2 Slices Sargento Ultra Thin Provolone Cheese - 80 calories
1 Slice Sargento Reduced Fat Pepperjack Cheese - 60 calories
1/2 TBSP Light Country Crock ((or use other butter alternative, oil, or perhaps pam)) - 25 calories. You most likely WONT use all of this.
Dash Garlic Powder
Dash Salt
Dash Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes (optional - adds heat)

Directions:
Preheat oven / toaster oven to 450. Slice a fresh red bell pepper in half, removing seeds. Place pepper cut-side down on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for 10 more minutes, flip again and then turn your oven / toaster oven to broil and get the skin to slightly char.

While pepper is roasting, prepare your other veggies - wash the baby spinach (leave whole), slice onion thinly, and dice tomato. Slice all cheese slices in half. Have banana peppers in reach.

Add 1/2 TBSP light country crock or other butter alternative or oil in a small bowl, add a pinch of garlic powder, salt and pepper. Microwave ~15-20 seconds, until melted. Mix well.

If using a loaf of bread, cut it now into desired shape/size.

Remove pepper from oven and slice into strips. Keep oven on.

Brush the bottom bread slice with the butter mixture (the sides, underside, and edges), and place on your baking sheet.
Add pepperjack cheese slices, covering the bottom of the bread.
Add peppers.
Add tomato.
Add onion.
Add spinach.
Top with provolone slices.
If desired, add red pepper flakes.
Add top layer of bread. Brush with remaining butter mixture - the top, and all edges.

Place sandwich into oven and turn it down to 350. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until all cheese is melted, spinach is wilted and bread is crispy/browned.
I Lovvvvved this sandwich and so did my fiance :) For even more heat, add jalapenos and hot sauce... I couldn't handle it that hot, he could!! You could also add leftover chicken. This is a VERY filling and satisfying sandwich, so it would be suitable for dinner, especially with soup!

amandie 01-23-2013 03:11 AM

This sounds super delicious!!! I have not had domino's in years, just basically forgot about them. Now that I come to think of it, I remember my favorite sandwich from there- the chicken habanero sandwich. I don't know why I never thought to pull a DIY on the sandwich. Healthier AND cheaper this way, right? Thank you so much for sharing!

Alyj89 01-23-2013 03:31 AM

Oh yes, geeze. By the time it was bought and delivered two sandwiches cost me $16 plus tip! I felt robbed, LOL. My fiance had the chicken habanero, actually!

For... less than $16 I bought all the ingredients with enough to make at least 5 of these! Probably more.

mnemosyne 01-23-2013 10:08 AM

This sounds delicious, Aly. I am going to try it next week, I think.

Another thing I like to do on French bread is a similar sandwich with broccoli and cheddar and a few other veggies. The broccoli gets crisped up in the heat. I might spread a laughing cow wedge or some fresh goat cheese (which is pretty low in calories) underneath the veggies as a sort of sauce, too.

Thanks for the recipe!

Alyj89 01-24-2013 08:47 PM

I had another one tonight for dinner... so good! :)

whoever tries it let me know how you like it!!